Our Head Hen Likes to Stand On People

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LizC, Nov 21, 2011.

1. LizC

LizC New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    Our "alpha" hen is a Rhode Island Red, about 1.5 years old; we have a very small flock (four hens), and they spend a lot of time socializing with us as well. Whenever my husband goes outside, Daisy (head hen) will stand at his feet and cluck quite insistently until he sits down, at which point she hops up and sits on his shoulder or upper back for 4-5 minutes, before hopping down and going about her day. She'll also insist on sitting on the rest of us on occasion.

Any ideas as to what she's doing? She's not aggressive about it, just determined (about as determined as she is when following me through the raspberry patch and tugging on my pant leg to "encourage" me to drop a few berries for her.)

2. farmergirl96

farmergirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    San Jose
    That's really cute! I had a hen who I trained to do that, if I held out my arm to her. I have also had many RIR who jumped on me, 'cause I used to feed them treats sitting down, and they'd get more if they jumped on my shoulder or my head---which was covered by a bandana, just FWI. :eek:)
    I think she's just doing it 'cause she's friendly. <3
    ~Hydrangea

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. henmad

henmad Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Ireland
    I think Daisy is telling you she is "Alpha" hen.... not you. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. LizC

LizC New Egg

Jun 7, 2010
    That's rather what I think... that she's using a non-pecking form of dominance assertion. [​IMG] It's pretty funny to watch; she's so placid and content once she's standing on someone.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I wish my chickens would do it! They just come up on my lap if I have treats [​IMG] I do have a new hen called Honey that will sit on my feet looking up at me with these puppy dog eyes waiting for me to set her on my lap. She will not move until I set her down. She is such a sweetie! Hence the name Honey <3

6. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I have a little dominique that is like that, but its mostly sitting in my lap for her nap. She's mean as a snake to the other girls if they cross her. The smallest girl and completely in charge. Chickens are funny.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know that she's showing you she's dominant...my BO is lowest in the pecking order of my older girls, and she'll peck at our pants legs until we pick her up for snuggling/petting - then she's fine and off to do her own thing. I think she's just demanding your attention...just as a young child might when he/she wants your attention.

8. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    If I kneel down and say "come on Hanna!" my little hen will hop onto my knee. Then her sister will run over and jump on too, or pull at my bra through my shirt.[​IMG]

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Even if it was dominance, it's cute [​IMG] I don't think it is though. They peck for lots of things. To say hello, to get attention, etc. Doesn't necessarily mean dominance. You would know if they were trying to bully you [​IMG]

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Quote:Even if it was dominance, it's cute [​IMG] I don't think it is though. They peck for lots of things. To say hello, to get attention, etc. Doesn't necessarily mean dominance. You would know if they were trying to bully you [​IMG]

I agree, like I said, Buddy (the little dominique pullet) is head girl on the block and mean as can be when the other girls step out of line. If she was showing dominance toward me I wouldn't think it would be by smuggling up on my lap to sleep. I never did any of the holding, cuddling stuff with any of them either, u think some of them just like the attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by