Our hen, Della, crowed today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lindseykoehler, Aug 27, 2007.

1. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    Our 6-month-old Delaware hen, Della, crowed today! A full on rooster sounding crow...but not as loud! She's our noisy girl, and the dominant hen. We have 3 hens, no roosters, so I guess she's taken on the rooster role a little! Anyone else have a hen that crowed today? [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks like another crowing hen!

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Not today anymore:(
    But I had one!
    This is Slifer the Sky Dragon. She's wearing her leash and muzzle. Obelisk the Tormentor is hiding under her.
    [​IMG]

4. SarahF

SarahF Chillin' With My Peeps

haha thats so funny b/c i have another thread going about how my husband and i heard a crow in our yard and NO one near us has chickens. it's in
    Index » What Breed Or Gender is This? » Barred Rock question...

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Uh. That hen is a roo....i think:/

6. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I had two crowing hens, but it is now apparent that they are roosters.

7. lindseykoehler

lindseykoehler Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    Napa, California
    No...I'm 100% sure Della is a hen. She lays eggs! She's just a little "manly". [​IMG] I love the picture of Slifer the Sky Dragon.

8. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

yes...slifer looks manly also...but as I recall, she laid eggs too!

I'm sure spotted crow will verify!

Sandra

9. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    OK our little flock is 20 weeks old and we just hear a cock-a-doo-do. Could she really be a she or is she just a late bloomer?

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Yep she laid one lovely baby yellow egg. I had her on female hormone therapy to stop her crowing and all it got was the egg.[​IMG] $30 a month for crowing and eggs wasn't worth it...
    She was actually a true hermaphrodite...so I got the one in a million...but no lottery ticket. sigh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by