Our hen hatched out 8 babies.. What do i do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GAChknGirl, Sep 11, 2010.

1. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    My hen hatched out 8 babies sooo cute, we took them from her because the fear of predators Hawks are a big one and dogs, our poor hen is so upset i want to give them back to her but odds are they will just get picked off one by one we have some older chicks born on the 20th of August do you think we could give them to her or would she not accept them?(these are big enough that they cant fit through our fence unlike the ones she hatched) we tried to keep her and the babies in a raised pen but she freaked out when we put them in there?? what else could i do for her?

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I would give her the chicks back and and make a little enclosure on the ground with only her and her chicks and put wood on the bottom of the sides high enough so they cant get out and make sure you have a top on it so nothing can get in there. I would also put it in an area were no dogs or coyotes, raccoons ect. can get in and get them.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I would rig up something! Poor momma! Do you have any wire fencing? Even a short piece could make a circular pen staked down with tent stakes, or up against an existing wall...put a board or piece of plywood over the top with a tarp to keep flying predators out. What about a big dog crate? Heck even a big cardboard box in a garage would work for a while till the chicks get a little bigger.

4. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I agree a dog crate or card board box would work great

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would definitely give her back her babies and find a way to enclose her with them.

The older babies you talked about would most likely be rejected by her at that point.

6. Mr chicken dude

Mr chicken dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    VA
    What about only giving back one or two???

7. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:maybe i will do this

8. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    I would give them all to her, she'll do a better job of raising them. and you won't have to.

9. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    yes i agree give them to her, my chicks can fit through the holes of the fence but they dont leave there mom.

10. GAChknGirl

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    Quote:problem is om is an escape artist im afraid she will get out and leave them behind

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by