Our hen hatched out 8 babies.. What do i do?

GAChknGirl

Songster
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Denver, Illinois
My hen hatched out 8 babies sooo cute, we took them from her because the fear of predators Hawks are a big one and dogs, our poor hen is so upset i want to give them back to her but odds are they will just get picked off one by one we have some older chicks born on the 20th of August do you think we could give them to her or would she not accept them?(these are big enough that they cant fit through our fence unlike the ones she hatched) we tried to keep her and the babies in a raised pen but she freaked out when we put them in there?? what else could i do for her?

I would give her the chicks back and and make a little enclosure on the ground with only her and her chicks and put wood on the bottom of the sides high enough so they cant get out and make sure you have a top on it so nothing can get in there. I would also put it in an area were no dogs or coyotes, raccoons ect. can get in and get them.

I would rig up something! Poor momma! Do you have any wire fencing? Even a short piece could make a circular pen staked down with tent stakes, or up against an existing wall...put a board or piece of plywood over the top with a tarp to keep flying predators out. What about a big dog crate? Heck even a big cardboard box in a garage would work for a while till the chicks get a little bigger.

I would definitely give her back her babies and find a way to enclose her with them.

The older babies you talked about would most likely be rejected by her at that point.

Back
Top Bottom