Our hen is picking her back bare!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steveg144, Jul 31, 2011.

1. steveg144

steveg144 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Our austrolorps Nigella looks like she's picked a bare spot on her back. This explains the little tufts of black feather in her coop. We didn't notice it till we looked down on her from above on the deck and spotted the bare patch. Doesn't look bloody, and she's otherwise fine. She just came off a long period of brooding, so I don't know if that's a factor. It's also been hotter than heck here, so don't know if that's a factor also.

Should I wait and see? Or is this serious enough for me to have to catch her and get her to the vet? thanks as always!

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Get a good look at her first. See if there are mites, lice or anything else bothering her and address that. Then you may want to either bring her to the vet or see if she is getting enough nutrients from her feed. If she is eating the feathers then she may need additional protein.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Is Nigella a lone chicken or does she have companions? Do you have a Roo? Have you actually seen her picking her own back? I'm just asking because sometimes Roos will pick all the feathers from too-aggressive mating, as you probably know. It is said that feather picking is a sign of stress. Feather eating a sign of protein deficiency. When broody I believe they pull feathers from their chest area. I'm kind of a newbie, so maybe somebody with more experience can help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by