Our hens (and maybe rooster) are eating eggs before we get to them.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by foodfreak02, Apr 10, 2017.

1. foodfreak02

foodfreak02 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    We have ceramic eggs in the boxes. Our ladies lay all throughout the day rather than just the morning. We go out about 3 times a day/afternoon. What more can we do to stop this?!

2. Tenrec

Tenrec Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2017
    Tell you what I did when one of my hens got a taste for her own eggs.

First, I made sure I was giving her adequate nutrition. Hens can start eating their own eggs to replenish their own nutrients...Or maybe the egg is fragile and breaks because the hen isn't getting enough nutrition, like protein or calcium...Then she sees the eg Once they start, it can be a hard habit to break though.

Second, I took a tasty-looking egg from the store, and blew it out so the egg looked pretty much intact. Then I took a syringe, and used that to pump mustard into the empty store-egg. Set a few of these mustard eggs in the box and I swear that bird stopped pecking her own eggs the very next day. Chickens HATE mustard, and if they think their eggs are filled with this nasty gunk, they won't even try.

I'm sure there are more solutions, but I've only ever had this happen twice and this trick worked both times.

1 person likes this.
  3. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC [​IMG] not a big fan of ceramic eggs they like bare nesting boxes can cause cracked eggs . Roll away nesting boxes will help if they are set so the eggs roll out of their reach .
    Never tried that [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are the birds? How long have they been laying? What are you feeding?

5. foodfreak02

foodfreak02 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    They're a mix of ages. We have some that will be 2 years old this July and some will be 1 year old in June.

6. foodfreak02

foodfreak02 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    We feed our girls (and rooster) layer food with treats of cracked corn and a few sunflower seeds added in. They love that scratch mix. We also let them out in their tunnel and they scratch for earthworms and eat grass and dandelions.

7. foodfreak02

foodfreak02 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    UPDATE: THANK YOU ALL for your responses of help for our situation. We took the advice that chickens like an empty nesting box and removed the ceramic eggs. Since then they've not bothered another egg!!! Outstanding!!! Again, thank you ALL for your suggestions, information and caring!! Love, love, love you all!!! Thank you so much!!

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. The high calcium content can be fatal to roosters. Too many low protein/high fat treats, like corn and sunflower seeds, can cause protein deficiencies (a potential cause of egg eating) and fat deposits that make laying difficult.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by