Our Hillbilly Swamp Cooler

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dawn419, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We've been in the 100's for the last 9 out of 10 days here in TN. Regardless of chilled fruit and soda bottle ice blocks, the gang was still panting. DH suggested adding this to the back of our small coop to help cool everyone off. They love it!!!

[​IMG]

Some of the gang enjoying the cooler air that now blows through their yard...

[​IMG]

Made by using a dish towel tacked to the wooden frame, the bottom of the towel sits in a tub of water and acts as a wick. We had all of this on hand and didn't have to spend a penny setting it up.

Dawn

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Great ingenuity!!! That cool air makes a big difference...I bet they are much happier now...[​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks Mayberry!

If there was more room, I'd be in there with them! [​IMG]

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Good idea! Fortunately it's a rare occasion when it get hot enough around here to have to cool off the birds. [​IMG]

5. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Angie,

It's not usually this hot here. I've living here for 20 years now and can't recall the heat being this bad for so long. It hasn't helped that we're not getting our usual rains this year either. We are -13.40" behind for the year here.

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    LOL,,,love the Hillbilly Swamp Cooler. I saw the weather today and it is broiling down there,,,,I hope you all get some relief soon.

7. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    OH, that is a great idea!

8. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    Do you put ice in the water? Does it actually mist them? A couple of my hens are getting really pale, we're up on a hill so it's fairly breezy, but a 106 degree breeze isn't much help [​IMG]
    Today was unreal!! I think the mid 90s next week will feel wonderful compared to this [​IMG]

9. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

Heck I might have to rig one of those in the living room!

10. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    My birds are always panting too, I tried putting a fan out there but I guess it was so old it just broke down. [​IMG]
    By the way, you have a beautiful flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by