Our horse is covered in ice. Is this OK?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by QChickieMama, Jan 25, 2013.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    We're just boarding him, so we're not the knowledgeable ones. We've provided a dry barn stall w/fresh hay to eat and access to water and pasture, but now that we're having an ice storm, he's just out there standing in the pasture, kicking around the ice to get some grass. What's wrong with this guy? I'm kinda kidding...I assume animals know what's OK. But since I'm concerned, I'm asking here. Is this OK? Even if it's not OK, I'm not sure what options we have. It's 20something out there, so not crazy cold. Thoughts?

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    So he has direct access to the stall? Like he can walk in there with no people leading him? If that is the case then he probably really doesn't mind the cold/ice right now. When he is ready for shelter he can go in, but if you are concerned he won't go in and the temps drop, I would put him inside. Some horses (drafts for example) are hardy and actually don't mind bad weather. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    I think he's part quarter horse but not a draft. However, like you say, he must not mind the ice since he can walk in to his stall any time.

I guess if the owner is concerned, she could blanket him but not while he's wet.

Just seems odd to watch icicles grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by