Our hot climate coop is finally done! Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wahmommy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I incorporated a lot of things from these forums, so thank you very much :) The roost is above a manure tray filled with Sweet PDZ. The lanterns are turn-of-the-century Mason jars. I put battery operated candles that have a timer so they go on every night at the same time automatically). The grey gravel at the bottom is chicken grit, it was actually the perfect color...

On the left side (looking at the coop) the two nest boxes are at the top of the bumped out cabinet, and underneath them there is storage. I based some of the coop on this one http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-coop/ (she based hers in turn on Heather Bullard's coop).

We live in Southern California so our first concern was heat so we put the coop under some trees and made sure there was a lot of ventilation. The lawn is a little torn up in front of the coop as I'd just buried the hardware cloth apron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Great planning. Terrific idea on the open/airy make-up. Chickens in SoCal need the air conditioning. On the rare occasion that it would rain, you can simply put a poly screen to keep everything free of any driving winds.

Great coop!

Best of wishes.

3. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    it's beautiful !!!

4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    That's beautiful. I almost wish I lived in a warm climate.

5. sokuchickens

sokuchickens New Egg

Mar 18, 2016
    So Cal
    I live in OC and love your coop. How has it held up for you ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by