Our huge rooster, any ideas on breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Twizzlebee, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Twizzlebee

Twizzlebee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    We got a rooster from a small farm. He's a barnyard mix, but I know for sure he is part Phoenix. Their hens are all just regular production type hens. But this rooster astounds me with his size and colors.

[​IMG]
    The hen in this pic is a phoenix pullet, if it helps with size

[​IMG]
    That's his chest, almost looks like a GLW, but they didn't have any.

[​IMG]
    Him free ranging with my geese, just for size.

Any ideas on how he got that lacing?
    Would he make a good breeding project?
    Or should I just cull him?
    He isn't people aggressive at all, but at the same time he isn't nice to the hens. Does a LOT more rooster damage than any other rooster I've had.
    He's only 5 or 6 months old by the way

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If he is not nice to the hens, I would cull him - there are plenty of good roosters out there, you don't need one who damages your hens.

3. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    His body coloring and shape is very similar to my Ameraucana roos, but a totally different look from the shoulders up. Also, they are a bit brighter colored and the lacing/penciling is a bit clearer on my Amies. I have noticed (in my 3 years of chickens) that all roos are damaging to the hens while they are young. When they first start, there is no "dance" with the hens, they just grab a wing, neck, or comb and "try". My lil Amie roos have just started this, this past week. My Amies aren't even crowing yet (4-5 months old), but they are grabbing at all the girls. In the past, I have traded all of those roos away, as I didn't want all of my yard birds (I free range them during the day) so bare-backed looking. I want to keep these roos as breeding stock, so they're probably going to be separated into pens for that purpose. I don't know how long it takes for them to figure things out, or if they even will. My main roo, Cog, is a very large EE (I assume, as he was sold to me for an Amie, but I have not seen a single Amie that looks like him in pics, color-wise) and was already an "experienced" old man when it came to the hens. I hope that they will learn how the deed is done. Maybe it's a "lesser rooster on the ladder" thing? I know I didn't really address your breed issue, but maybe I helped with the "rough with the hens" issue?

4. Twizzlebee

Twizzlebee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah, that kind of is what he is doing. I just think he hurt my Barred rock's hip because she can't walk, and he always picked on her because she isn't as fast as the phoenix hens. I don't think he has any AM, because I have AM's and based on his huge comb, wattles, and white legs, I don't see it in him. He's my only rooster right now. Well, I have some young roosters, but they don't try anything with the hens. And he's fine with my young roosters. An occasional peck, maybe, but nothing major

5. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Yup, my thoughts, exactly on the shoulders-up, on him. As for the behavior, about the same as what I see from all of mine. Ol' Cog, just gives them a stern look when they grab a hen, then they usually high tail it 'cause he's standing there, watching them.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Emphatic x2. There are hundreds of roosters out there that need homes. Don't keep one that is rough on hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by