Our Ideal Poultry Turks and peanuts!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gmendoza, Mar 17, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Yes!!! Im finally home.Now here are my pics:

One of our four turkey poults.

[​IMG]

Packing peanuts. I think these are Production Reds.There are 4 of these.

[​IMG]

There are two of these.I think Leghorn:

[​IMG]

Here is the brooder Gang:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seepy babies...go to sleep,go to sleep,la la lalalala la

We only got 6 packing peanuts but thats ok,they are cute!!The brooder is in my shower in my lab/bathroom.Sorry the pics are fuzzy.I didnt remember to get fresh batteries.Will post better ones maybe this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I think some of our peanuts were related... too bad you are not closer I would take that light colored one off your hands in hopes that it would be a Buff Orpington.

Cute babies though, Enjoy!!

3. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    well all my production reds have black dots on their heads-boys. and the two light colored ones do not..hope hope girls!!If not,then all save one goes to freezer camp in 6+months unless I sell them.One will be the new roo.Sir Speckles has a date with the freezer camp at the end of this year.

4. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I ended up with 6 reds... I asked hubby if he wanted to send them to the freezer.. and he isn't interested so I guess I need to find homes for them or trade them for a couple roosters that I really want.

I would call Ideal and ask about the one's without marks and see what they say or maybe they can determine the breed.

5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

The turkey poults are so cute [​IMG] I must resist. I already have to many chicks and a keet, but the turkey poults are too cute!!!!

6. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well we all had happy chickie day yesterday.This morning my DW comes into the bedroom telling me "quite when you go to your bathroom,the chicks are asleep under the heatlamp".They were so cute,I couldnt resist to sneak a peak before work. [​IMG]

DW went to feed them and a very ravenous turk comes running to the feed tray,sharp teeth blaired and all! [​IMG] that poult will fit in with the other shark-chickens we have! [​IMG]

She said they came out of the shipping box hungry,owners be darned! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Just a side note...you may want to switch that brooder bulb to a red one...much less stress on the birds and less chance for the chicks to end up with water belly....HTH.

8. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:You know ive always wondered about that. is the bulb supposed to supress stress?

I have always used regular bulbs.Under the lamp its 95 degrees.I have never had a problem,ever.Im staunch in" if its not broken,dont fix it".Not saying that anyone elses experiences are not valid.Maybe I need convincing with more than word-proof,maybe actual pics of chicks under a red bulb compared to chicks under a normal bulb getting same heat.

I also never had chicks that had stress.I never had chick death due to lack there of red bulb or stress contributed to said same.

Whats the actual hard numbers,then I might take a step to that direction,go to TSC and look at just the bulbs(not the chicks) and do a comparison,not monitery,but heat,shelf life,consistancy,etc etc...

Good job stirring my brain for the weekend. [​IMG]

9. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Depends on bulb size. I do keep 40w lights on for my meat birds, but not as the heat source...the extreme amount of light produce from using large wattage bulbs for heat can cause problems...particularly in broilers, so I've always used red for heat, and a gentle white so they can get up and eat during the night hours. I've seen many people successfully raise birds under white lights, but I've found that mine (non meaties that is) get a better rest under red bulbs, and it also lets me sleep through the night since I brood indoors...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by