Our Latest Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kev_n_jena, May 23, 2010.

1. kev_n_jena

kev_n_jena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    East Central Illinois
    Hello Everyone,

I just thought I'd share our latest tractor.

Base measures 5' x 8'.
    Cost: about $120 plus used cedar decking.

This tractor was pretty labor intensive for the number of chickens it will house. We're hoping it will support 7-8 laying hens during warm months being moved once per day on pasture.

[​IMG]

Our next tractor will be about 8' x 12' and less complicated to build.

Kev n Jena

2. Lalaith

Lalaith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Wow! I'm looking at it and tryng to figure out what's going on there. It is an engineering marvel [​IMG]. Can you explain some of the features?

3. kev_n_jena

Mar 27, 2010
    East Central Illinois
    Well, I'm not sure what you want to know but I'll try.

The 2 nesting areas are about 4 ft. long x 1 ft. wide x 1 1/2 ft. high with metal lids and hardware cloth bottoms and backs. There's one roost about 2 ft. long. The wheels are fixed. The door is 2 ft. x 4 ft. Any other questions?

Kev n Jena

4. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Are you going to add more roost space, or is this for silkies or something that doesn't like to roost anyway?

5. kev_n_jena

Mar 27, 2010
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:I'm hoping they will roost in a combination of the 2 nesting areas and the 2 ft. roost. We'll see what happens I guess. If they roost on the front of the nesting areas that will make a total of 10 ft. of roost.

Most of the chickens we have are Rhode Island Reds. We have a few black rocks and barred rocks and a couple whites of some sort.

Kev n Jena

Last edited: May 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by