Our latest foster (WARNING, the one picture may upset some folks)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Eggsoteric, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Meet Big Bob, dumped at one of the local shelters by his previous owners who said he hadn't eaten in 3 weeks and pulled by the rescue we foster for just hours before he was scheduled to be euthanized (he weighed 67lbs when pulled). Other than the fact that he's one of the most anemic dogs the vet has ever seen and has a slight heart murmur (which may go away when he returns to his ideal weight), he's doing well. Such a sweetie and no problems at all getting him to eat.

[​IMG]

Showing off his redneck jacket. :) I've ordered a bit more stylish one for him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    How can people be so cruel? It took a long time for him to get that bad, they should be in jail for animal cruelty!

That being said, he has a very sweet face. And those feet - OMG! - he will be a monster when he gains his weight back.

Thank you for being a caring human being and giving him a chance at a new life.

3. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    What a handsome old man. Mastiffs are great dogs. Thank you for giving him a loving place to live out his last years. Most people won't take seniors. Once again thank you.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    As far as the anemia/heart murmur--I'm anemic all the time recently due to the chemo--I run about half as much as a healthy person. I'll tell you, it sure does make the heart do funky things! I can usually tell when I need to be transfused by how many irregular beats I have [​IMG]. So, yeah, I'd sure expect that to even out as he recovers--plus, he'll have so much more energy! Too bad they don't transfuse dogs........

5. Iuvmychix

Iuvmychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow...I’m do glad that you were able to take him in! I love the name you gave him :) I bet that ,with your care, he will soon become much healthier. He has such kind eyes.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done on your part and da*n those who previously owned him.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good for you for taking this poor guy in. He has such a kind face!

I agree with the vet that the heart murmur and anemia should resolve as he begins gaining weight. Murmurs seem to be fairly common in large breed dogs though. I would expect it to at least improve with weight gain.

8. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Aww...he looks like such a sweet dog. I hope that he will make a nice 'n' steady weight gain and recovery from heart murmur!

9. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Any updates on big bob?

10. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Update: We hit a bit of a rough patch with Big Bob this past weekend. Last Friday, Big Bob bloated. He was rushed to the emergency vet where they performed surgery (including gastropexy); Bob also needed a blood transfusion as he was so very anemic. This boy is one tough as nails dude. He survived the surgery and is back with us and doing very well. Getting stronger every day; more bright-eyed than ever and is generous with the tail wags. Thanks for asking.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by