Our Leghorn "bows down" to my wife

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by steveg144, Jan 12, 2011.

1. steveg144

steveg144 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    We have two hens of unknown origin (long story; they wandered onto our property 3 weeks ago and "adopted" us ...). One's a big plump Austrolorps, the other a Leghorn (this from many hours of googling "chicken pictures" ...). I somehow got nominated to do the feeding, while my wife gets to coo and fuss. So when I'm out there and the Leghorn gets close and I reach down to pet her, she squawks and scurries. When my wife does it, she does this interesting behavior: she "bows" to my wife. Flattens her body, splays her wings out and downward, her perky tail flattens, and she trembles while my wife pets her. I told my wife (half jokingly) that "she's the Alpha hen, but she's acknowledging you as Uber Hen! Me, I'm just the guy who feeds them...." (said with a self-pitying pout of course). So what is really going on here? It looks very much like some kind of animal "submission behavior," similar to what a dog would do. Any ideas?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    She thinks your wife is her roo [​IMG] She is assuming the mating posture.

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG]

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

That is submissive. She is accepting her as her mate!!

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That is so funny. Thank you so much for the laugh I needed it today. [​IMG] Sorry did not mean to be rude. [​IMG] from GA

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. steveg144

Jan 12, 2011
    Great. Just great. And me? I'm just the guy who feeds them. I'm like nothing in the chickeh scheme of things! :)

7. steveg144

Jan 12, 2011
    Oh and thanks for all the welcomes! I've been lurking here since "Camilla" (the one with the crush on my wife) and "Nigella" (the buxom Austrolorps) showed up, finally decided to register. The answers on this forum have kept me from killing the poor gals several times over. They need water? Who knew??? They need greens? Who knew??? Grit? Protein? Sheesh! The gals have y'all to thank that they're alive and happy. [​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Great. Just great. And me? I'm just the guy who feeds them. I'm like nothing in the chickeh scheme of things! :)
    Sorry but that is all I am to mine. My family helps out when they are not working but I clean the coop, give them fresh water and food everyday. And they holler at me for everything. Like I am to blame. Just like kids take it out on the one that does everything for you:gig That is it. My goats yell at me too.

9. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]:lau
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    So thats what my hens mean when they do that. They do it whenever I walk up to them! It's kinda creepy though... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by