Our Leghorns beak is bleeding-HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenadrian, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jenadrian

jenadrian New Egg

May 3, 2009
    She seems to be pecking at her food-not sure if she is in pain or getting food in. We removed her from the coop-other chicken was pecking at her beak [​IMG]
    Not sure if we need to bring her to a vet or she will mend on her own.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personal choice. She wouldn't be the first chicken to recover nicely from a beak injury that wasn't devastating. You might consider a little first aid, if you haven't done this already, like you would do for yourself. You did fine with the separation. She may be eating normally in a day or two.

3. jenadrian

jenadrian New Egg

May 3, 2009
    what kind of first aid do you suggest? the blood seems to have stopped...

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry about your bird. We have had great success healing a nasty beak injury, and the lady recovered to be just gorgeous after her "nose job."

Where is the beak bleeding from? Can you possibly post pics?

One thing I will add is that beak or other facial injuries are painful for birds, as they are with us. Keeping her in a quiet place and giving her softened foods and electrolyte water (half-strength Gatorade is what my avian vet uses) will help. My vets have used Naproxen liquid and Metacam for pain management in my birds over the years, but unfortunately I do not have a dosage handy. I will see what I can find.

5. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If the beak has stopped bleeding, it is still intact and her injury is not impeding her ability to get food and water, the best thing to do may be to wait and let it heal.

Please keep us posted on her progress. Good luck!

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree. Soft foods would of course be a good idea for a few days: you could just try softening a bit of feed in yogurt or water; whatever you wish. If she happens to love something like cooked oatmeal or scrambled eggs, of course....

Unless it looks dirty, you may not need to do any wound care. For first aid, I was thinking of a simple cleansing of the wound with soapy water or maybe a drop of Betadine or peroxide in the water, then some antibiotic ointment, just a tiny bit. Usually whatever you use on yourself or your kids is fine. Don't try to dress it. Don't overdo it. You can give a baby aspirin. Just some Neosporin in itself is often soothing to a wound, with or without the pain killer.

BTW, there is a myth on here that Neosporin with pain killer is lethal to chickens. That is not true; I have used it on them myself. What CAN be lethal is the "caine" drugs, such as novocaine, benzocaine, and lidocaine, anything that ends "caine." Just read your label. Neosporin with pain killer uses a completely different drug to control pain.

7. Jenski

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Any updates, OP? How is your hen doing today?

8. jenadrian

jenadrian New Egg

May 3, 2009
    sorry-dog was skunked this am - and have been desmelling dog and trying to get rid of skunk. Morning Glory has been in the kids playhouse since last night and is still there currently-gave her some softened chicken feed and mashed potatoes from last night-here are 2 side shots of her beak...she seems ok-and would probably like to get back to the coop or have run of the yard. we have not consulted with a vet-but did wash her off with saline and put some neosprin on the beak.

9. jenadrian

jenadrian New Egg

May 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is how she is looking

10. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I think just watching her will be enough. I've had several birds break their beaks and they healed nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by