Our Lexie Passed On At 2 A.M.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, May 7, 2011.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We are heartbroken even though we knew it was coming. Lexie turned 5 years old in March. She had not laid an egg in over a year, but it was only recently that her abdomen became enlarged. She had suffered from arthritic feet for awhile now and lost her best friend, Ivy, the other Barred Rock she grew up with, recently, to internal laying after a very long and valiant battle. I heard her go over the baby monitor. Reba, the RIR, who is slightly older than Lex, is suffering from something we can't figure out and was sitting beside her on the floor when it happened. She was visibly shaken when DH went out to get Lexie. He found Reba with her neck stretched over Lexie's body. It was so heartwrenching.

Lexie was pretty famous on the old EZboard BYC for being thought to be a cockerel for ages due to her super light coloring. She is the mother of many kids, including my Zane and his brothers. Here are some pics of Lexie as a younster and as an older lady. Today, I feel like doing some serious rethinking of my entire chicken plans after losing Lexie. She and her sisters brought us such joy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry, Cyn.

3. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Sorry [​IMG] she was very pretty

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm sorry! It never gets easier, really, to lose our feathered friends, and I know you are going to miss her.

She's in Chicken Heaven, where streets are paved in sweet corn and the walls crawl with bugs!

[​IMG]

5. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I'm so sorry Lexie went to the chicken coop in the sky.... [​IMG] to you. She was a gorgeous girl. I just love barred rocks.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] So sorry. Barred rocks are so easy to love...

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss.She was a pretty hen.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Aw Cyn, I'm so sorry. When you described what Reba did.... Just heartbreaking. RIP Lexie....you were loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by