Our little Bantam chick with leg problems died last night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cicene mete, Apr 20, 2009.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    A couple of days ago, I found out from everybody here how to make a brace because I thought the little chick we rescued from TSC had spraddle leg. In the end, her deformity seems to have been more extensive. Although she responded a bit at first, yesterday she took a turn for the worse. We changed the Band-Aid thinking that we might've had it in a wrong position, but messing with her just made it a lot worse.

She still ate and drank was a good little fighter, but by last night, she would just sit on her butt with her legs straight out. We couldn't even prop her up. We gave her a blanket and she buried yourself in it, and then she curled herself up in what must be the "egg" position. She finally went to sleep and passed away fairly soon after. I'm glad she's no longer in pain, and I am also glad that my DW and I had this precious little life with us, if only for a short time. She was a sweet little girl, and we will miss her.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG] I'm sorry for your loss. At least the end of her life was better than it would have been at TSC

3. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thank you. She was definitely loved during her short time on earth. [​IMG]

4. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:I agree and now I am crying. They are such sweet little things. You did the best you could.

5. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    Sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

6. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thank you for all the kind words and support. The last few hours have been a bit rough on my DW and me, and it's nice to come to a place where people "get it." The truth is, if we saw the same little hurt chick at TSC, we would take her home again in a minute.
    Here she is before she took a turn for the worse,
    [​IMG]
    and here she is in my DW's hand ,
    [​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Awww I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG] She looks like my little Gemma. I lost two chicks last week due to complications so I understand your feelings. I am still hurting but like you, am glad they are no longer in pain. I said in one of my posts about my losses that if there is a chicken heaven they are there doing all the things they didn't get to do on earth [​IMG]

8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh no... what kind was she? Last year three of ours died.

9. cicene mete

Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks, guys. I think she was a Golden Sebright. Our TSC doesn't sort the bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by