Our Little Coop In Progress!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheYLWFlock, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    So we have been slowly chipping away at this coop since January, and now that we have our babies we are adding the finishing touches before moving them in a few weeks. We have finished the coop (18 square feet, although it looks smaller) and equipped it with a roost and two nesting boxes. It has a liftable roof. We have built the frame for the run (40 square feet, although it doesn’t look it!) and now just need to add the hardware cloth and a door! What do you think? I know it’s small, but we are only planning on about 4 birds (unfortunately we didn’t know about chicken math, so that might change...)

1E415479-9432-4F30-93F4-7AE11D1A3AEE.jpeg

82A959D1-EACF-4BF4-84D0-3D2C7FB31D13.jpeg 9EC8454F-4055-4759-A013-F27CFF475B23.jpeg 0CE67746-76B5-4444-9A19-40AA10326E66.jpeg

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are not finished yet, so I see your progress as good. Just some observations and suggestions. Read up about ventilation, as I see, you have not started that phase yet. If you mount your coop up on poles, blocks or whatever, you will have shade and rain protection underneath as well as added run space.
    And when CHICKEN MATH gets a strangle hold on you, we can give you tips on converting the shed in the background into your advanced coop,,,
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,, and :welcome

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I'd be curious to see photos of the layout inside. And as cavemanrich noted have you planned out where you'll put ventilation and windows?

aart, cavemanrich and lclark like this.
  4. The shed in the background looks about right:)
    Chicken math is real.

Gary

5. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Hello everyone! I knew about ventilation, but not about windows being necessary... are they a must? We have insulated it already... how would it work to put windows in now??? And the ventilation??? I’m glad it’s already practically done... looks like we will be needing to make some adjustments! Any tips on all that stuff? Thanks in advance!

6. CiscoChickens

CiscoChickens Chirping

Apr 8, 2018
    Windows are always a good idea. They help with keeping dust level down by allowing a small breeze to flow through. Whenever I have my windows closed on my coop, the dust is unbearable even for a whiff. I can't imagine what it would be like for my chickens all night if I always kept the windows closed. :(

cavemanrich likes this.
  7. I think they need windows, and more space. That box is too small for 4 chickens IMO

Gary

aart likes this.
  8. TheYLWFlock

TheYLWFlock Songster

Apr 18, 2018
    Kelowna, BC
    Oh well, I wish we had known this before we invested $550 and 25+ hours of work... we can’t exactly go and spend a bunch of money on a new coop, and our shed is used for our garden, lawnmower, etc. I had read that they need 4 square feet per bird inside, and 10 out in the run. I want the best for my chickens, but it looks like I can’t give them that... what should I do?

9. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Windows provide light and possibly ventilation (depending on if they open). A badly lit coop usually leads to chickens not wanting to go inside at night. Ventilation is important to provide fresh air and help keep the coop dry (sounds contradictory when I think instinct tells you that you need to keep out rain, but chickens produce moisture as they breathe and that moisture needs to go somewhere).

Vents don't have to be fancy. You can just cut some openings and cover them with hardware cloth. Just to give you an example, this is my current nest box, an old small doghouse, where I cut out little windows on the side and back for light and ventilation. There's hardware cloth sandwiched between the wall and salvaged wood pieces.

after5.jpg

aart, cavemanrich and Dianna63020 like this.
  10. Brigitt

Brigitt Chirping

Jun 18, 2017
    S-America
    Hey, you're doing great and almost finished.
    If you get chicken-crazy in the future, you will look at your shed differently. But for now your setup is good as you're just starting.
    Ventilation: How do they get out of the coop? Maybe you could make a wire-meshed door to get some ventilation? Or, if you don't have any predators, leave a gap open between roof-lid and front wall and maybe also mesh it. I guess it wouldn't have to be much, maybe 10 cm.
    To lift it from the ground may also be a good idea (humidity, etc); just put it on some bricks, this will be sturdy enough through it's own weight; it will make the cleaning out easier and protect the wood.
    How will the coop be attached to the run?

Because of the subtropical conditions here I can have hoop coops. They're easy to build (no roof construction for clumsy me) and not too costly. In the meantime I have several of them. But they surely would be too open even for Kelowna, I think.

Soon2BChixMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: