Our little coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LizGled628, Aug 30, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    The DH worked on our coop for what seemed like ages...he claims he's not handy, but I think anyone who can construct this on their own, with no carpentry skills, is pretty awesome!

The roof if hinged on the back, and there are two roosts (2 x 4) inside (the roof is super heavy because of the shake shingles, but it has a bracket that fits a post to hold it open). The plastic on the peak of the roof is to prevent leaks...we never saw water coming in, but we thought it couldn't hurt. Also, the run is very small for six birds...which is why they free range everyday [​IMG]

The nest box locks underneath, and the front door (inside the run) has a sliding lock and a hook and eye with a sliding clasp. It also has a latch on the inside of coop that can only be locked from the inside, before you close both doors. The ventilation door has a lock, and there is additional ventilation above the nest boxes. The wire for the run is buried 14 inches deep, and threaded where the hardware cloth meets the less sturdy stuff at the top. Finally, I hope the roof is too heavy for predators to get into, but just in case...the whole thing bolts down. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We built this nice house and the STILL want out [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    He did a great job! [​IMG] What a wonderful little chookie home. [​IMG]

3. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Good job! Is the shelter over the waterer to keep it cool? My waterers just sit in the sun. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Good job! I've built 3 of my 4 coops, so I know whereof I speak.

And I love that photo of the chicken sticking her head and neck out! Adorable!

6. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Quote:The shelter is to offer a little shady spot when it's hot, and to keep the leaves out! The coop and run is tucked against a few trees, so it's nicely shaded. The only downside is the leaves falling in. We've since raised the waterer on blocks to prevent the kicking of mess into it.

7. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    VERY cute!!!

8. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks [​IMG]

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Tell your husband that we said, "Well done!" [​IMG] My constructive criticism is to change out the chicken wire over the top of the run with something raccoons can't get into and to put two small ventilation holes (could be 3-4" dia. hole) near the top of either end of the coop. I'd even make it so that it could be opened or closed depending on the season and temperature.

10. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Nicely done!!! yah, our chickens only go in their coop at night & can't wait to be let out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by