1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our little girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dixielife74, Feb 2, 2015.

1. dixielife74

dixielife74 Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2015
    Hattiesburg, MS
    We need some help identifying the breed of our little hen. I sort of recall the man who sold her saying something about a duck wing. Not sure what that means. She may be a mutt and if so that's just fine because we love this sweet girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We bought her and our rooster as an immature mismatched pair a year and a half ago. You can see she's quite small compared to the rooster. She lays a small white egg every 3-4 days. She has a very quiet delicate peep and is shy but loves her rooster. She never leaves his side..

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Mismatch? I'd say you have a wonderful match. If you ever hatch babies, they may be beautiful. Duckwing is referred to as the coloring and pattern of her feathers. In her case she is a silver duckwing (color and pattern, not breed). How much does she weight? Over 2 pounds? Less than 1 pound?

3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Cluck, Quack, YAK-YAK-YAK! Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    She isn't quite right for silver duckwing. At least in the first picture, it looks like she does not have the rosy-brown / salmon-colored chest that duckwing hens have. I would bet she's a mix. She is totally gorgeous, either way! :love

Edited for wording, sorry...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your bird looks like an Old English Game or Old English Game mix to me. She's very pretty!

5. dixielife74

dixielife74 Just Hatched

Feb 1, 2015
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Thank you for your comment. She is less than a pound. She hatched 5 chicks last summer that my sister took to her coop. Sadly something got into the coop and got them and my sister's silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by