Our little mixed flock!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Prestonsloan12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    My wife and I started our little collection of the oddest chickens we could find a little over a year ago. We started off with two silkies and so far they have been our favorite! (Cyrus)
    [​IMG]
    (Albert)
    [​IMG]

At just 5 months, Cyrus went broody before she even laid her first egg. So we found someone close by that had mixed hatching eggs and gave her 4 to sit on. Only 1 of those 4 eggs hatched, and thats how he got Ollie, our Polish hen. Well, we assume she is a hen, she still hasn't laid an egg but she looks like a hen to us. We really wish we had a rooster to breed with her. But at the same time, she is insane and we don't know if we could handle any more Ollies running around the coop!

(Ollie)
    [​IMG]

Then somewhere along the road we ended up with Little Dude, a tiny bantam rooster of some sort.
    (Little Dude)
    [​IMG]

And lastly, this week my wife's parents bought us two young Sizzles for Christmas (best present ever, right!?)
    (Curly)
    [​IMG]
    (Henrietta)
    [​IMG]

We know that we are nowhere near the end of our chicken journey, but I think these will be enough for the rest of the year. lol

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada

3. Prestonsloan12

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    Thats what we think too. In this picture he looks white but he is actually an opal type color.

4. dragonthehunter

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Opal is a variety of OEGB I have a rooster and he looks same in body build and all but just different colour I have a little bb red

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good looking little birds, glad you're enjoying them!

6. Prestonsloan12

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    We have had a couple people tell us that they think he is an OEGB so I guess we will just roll with it!

7. dragonthehunter

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Ya he probably is a mix breed of OEGB I would just roll with it

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's a wonderful flock! Yep, chicken math gets you every time. Enjoy! [​IMG]

9. Berryblue

Berryblue Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Nz
    Looks like a good mix : ) I love the polish ones but don't have yet. Yes I'm sure your journey is far from over. Once you start it's addictive : )

10. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    That looks like an awesome mixed flock. Have you noticed if your rooster has been mating at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by