Our little Plymouth Rock Ladies are LAYING!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sabbith79, Dec 25, 2013.

1. sabbith79

sabbith79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    We have 3 Plymouth Rock hens they are approximately 6 months maybe a little less and they have been laying the last week! So we decided it was time to "upgrade" their coop!! Keep in mind were rough necks ;) we turned three old tires into their nesting boxes and they absolutely love it hahaha I don't think they have moved from them!

The coolest part was today after reaching a dozen eggs we decided we would try our product and FOUR eggs had double yolk!!!! Looked it up and guess you were quite the farmer back in the day if your chicken laid double yolk eggs, but it also happens more in younger hens.

We will be making new nest boxes once we get a saw to cut the wood, we want to build our flock up and the tires are OK for now just sort of bulky. Can't wait until spring so we can get some more eggs to indicate! Hopefully we will get a rooster so we won't have to order eggs anymore! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    They are lovely. That is so awesome. It is wonderfully exciting when they start laying.

3. sabbith79

sabbith79 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    Yes I'm on cloud 9 I cannot wait until they get broodie and start raising their babies!!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yep, finding those eggs never gets old.

Congrats on the new layers!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congratulations! I think the tire nest boxes are so darn cute!!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by