Our lovely Rupaul - he or she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AtomicTea, Aug 5, 2013.

1. AtomicTea

AtomicTea New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi there,
    We're new to chickens, and have a flock of 12. Of those, three are Silver Laced Wyandottes which we thought were hens. They are now 12 weeks old and we're a little suspicious about one of them, as he or she appears to have a much larger and redder wattle and comb, and is generally larger. I know we're supposed to be looking at the hackle feathers to determine gender, but since we are unexperienced with this sort of thing - we're unsure. Any guesses to our darling little RuPaul's sex? (Rupaul is on the right in the first picture, and right foreground with head down in the second picture. The other two Wyandottes of the same age are also in the pic with same coloring)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated. We're keeping him/her either way.

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    That's a cockerel!

3. AtomicTea

AtomicTea New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Quote: We were guessing so. But it's so confusing because I just didn't realize the boys would be as full-bodied. Also, we ordered all hens, lol.

Do you say that because of the face/wattle/combs? Or the feathers? What should I be looking at?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    He is a cockerel. This is because of the redder face/larger comb and wattles, as well as his color. Male Silver-Laced Wyandottes have a more blotchy color pattern, with more white on their wings, and more irregular lacing.

1 person likes this.
  5. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    At this age the redness of the comb/waddles are a dead giveaway. You can start to see pointed feathers draping at the back near the tail - these are saddle feathers and only roos have them. Yes, some roos can be quite big! I hope he stays friendly for you - a roo can be a great pet and very entertaining to watch.

1 person likes this.
  6. AtomicTea

AtomicTea New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. I hope he stays friendly as well. Hoping SLW roos are friendly guys. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by