Our mailmans egg story

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DLS, Aug 11, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Our mail man is an egg customer of ours. He says that if you feed HOT dried pepper to my hens they will lay better (he says Grandmother did it, she mixed HOT JALIPINO pepper in wet laying mash)
    Is this so?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I dont know if that is so. But I just had to mention that our mailman is one of our best egg customers.

3. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    This was discussed here few months ago and I think the consensus was that it can work but it was a little harsher on the bird than most pet chicken owners were comfortable with if you're not careful. But, like everything else, there were lots of different opinions. If you did a search for "hot peppers" in the forums you could find the thread.

4. DLS

I did not find it [​IMG]

5. DLS

I can't seem to find any thing about HOT PEPPERS & laying hens

6. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My first thought is that chickens don't even LIKE peppers, they actually prefer cucumber.

Here's my proof. In ONE day the score from my garden was 11 cucumbers for me, 22 cucumbers the chickens already attacked and ate. The number of Jalapenos they annihilated? NONE - although there was one TINY peck where they tried one, and promptly left in a hurry.

[disclaimer: this is only humor, not science]

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

8. DLS

Thanks for the thread. I did not see one BAD thing abot adding hot peppers to the food. so I am going to try it
    D[​IMG]

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My understanding is that hot peppers have natural worming abilities, which keeps the worm load down and helps with egg laying. A hen with a heavy worm load may stop or slow down on laying due to the issue. We use them, but I have never kept track of eggs, so couldn't say if it works for sure, but old timers swear by it.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by