1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our mamma rooster is sick :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CartierChicken, Aug 21, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    We have a 9 week old rooster who is raising our 4 week old Yokohama chicks. He's perfectly lovely and is now sick. I had noticed that he had diarrhea for a couple days, but he seemed fine otherwise. Then today we notice he was not out with the chicks, but sleeping instead. He has been this way most of the day, and now his waddles and come are losing colour. They also feel very warm. We have him in the house now. He wants to rest in our laps and is closing his eyes often. He took a little mango and I have been using a dropper to get water in him. I also gave him some kiefer. So does this look like worms? I have not noticed any in his droppings yet.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It wouldn't hurt to start a worming and delousing program (I am assuming he's still on medicated feed with the antibiotics).

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Most chick starter does not contain antibiotics. The medicated usually has amprolium, which helps develop a resistance to Coccidia, a protozaol parasite.

Do be sure to check for worms and lice!

4. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am in Sweden, and the feed is not medicated here. As for worms, I have checked his droppings, and he had a good sized one last night, and it did not show any signs of worms. I supposed you just don't always see it. He is lice and mite free, or at least I hope so. He just spent the night in my son's bed. My son had set him up next to his bed, but I just checked in and found him snuggled up to my sleep son:love We have been working on giving him water and egg yolk, so hopefully he is strong enough to start the worming meds today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by