Our Marans and Ameraucana Baby Pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Solsken Farm, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

well, not really, but hatching seems like that. I have been preparing for my first hatch.

Here is my broody hen...

[​IMG]

And tomorrow my very first eggs are supposed to arrive![​IMG] I adopted some Ameraucanas and Marans egglets. I called the PO and he told me they'll call me the minute they arrive so that I can come pick them up. If any of you is shaking your head thinking, "It is tooooo hot!", I live in Maine and it is in the low 80's so I am thinking it will be ok. I bought them from 2 very excellent breeders here on BYC, so I am thinking I have some good odds.

I am going to be looking for a lot of support from all you mommies out there. Will you help me over the next three weeks? Please and thank you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Here's wishing you a 100% hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Just keep us posted as to progress and post lot's of pic's - we love pic's! [​IMG]

3. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    Wow, I got the same set today! Mine are used but I got a good deal! Congrats and good luck.

4. Solsken Farm

Thanks you two.[​IMG]

Well, the PO just called and there was a note on the box that it arrived to our big PO a half hour away upside down. Will that cause a problem?[​IMG]

Off to get the box.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    wow that broody is gorgeous , but no feathers? OH well must be one of those new breeds.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Solsken Farm

Quote:Yup, and she just sits there like a good girl and doesn't move.[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me if upside down shipped eggs will be ok, if they aren't scrambled?

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Only time will tell...

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I got a call mine are in too(silkies and frizzles)! With my last batch I could tell they were scrambled, actually they yolks were exploded, so there was no "blob" in the egg, just looked yellow. The ones that weren't exploded had a lot of bubbles. It looked like they were shaken, hard. I let them set for a minimum 8 hours. If they are the ones from Jean they actually seem to be the hardiest eggs I have gotten so far. Did you get yourself a nice bright flashlight to candle with? Definitely worth the investment. Good luck!
    Krista

9. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    klf, you'll have to let me know how my eggs arrived. i super packed them cause they were traveling so far.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    will do newchickenmom
    Horsegirl,
    What kind of chickens do you have already? I can't remember if you said it before. I like your new-fangled hen there [​IMG] . Thought about picking one up but I think dh would freak, so I just went ahead and made a new homemade one, told him I needed a hatcher [​IMG] , now I'm filling it up with new eggs [​IMG] oops, did I say hatcher? at least it's a healthy addiction
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by