Our Muscovy adventure

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaWalker, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MamaWalker

MamaWalker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Mountainburg Arkansas
    We brought home three 8 wk old Muscovy babies yesterday. This is our first experience in raising ducks. Our intention is to integrate them into our existing flock of 27 chickens. Just as we did two years ago when we started out with two chicks, we are researching everything, learning as we go with the ultimate goal being the expansion of our group of ducks. If anyone can add any helpful hints regarding feeds, integration or even help in identifying/sexing them it would be very much appreciated. We are rookies but are in the process of turning our 90 acre farm back into the functioning homestead that it was when my grandmother was alive. The woman that sold us the ducks said she gave her ducks choices between scratch and cat food? I've read that they need high protein diets but I want to make sure that we do everything the right way to ensure that our ducks are as healthy as they can be.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Integrating ducks into an existing flock of 27 chickens might be tricky. I'd keep them separate but close using fencing let them live side by side for a while so your chickens see them as part of the flock if not they could seriously harm them even kill the ducks. After they have lived side by side for a while then let them have some time together during treat time. This way you can see how the chickens are going to act towards the 2 newbies. I'd give the ducklings time to get the size of an adult duck too before integration . I have my Muscovy's living inside of a large house with my chickens even 2 females roost along with the chickens, All of mine are adults and but they didn't start out this way. i had the 2 separated till last winter when we had below 0 temps and I integrated my 2 so they could help generate warmth. I still have a chicken hen who will bully my ducks even my drake.She hasn't injured them just likes to throw her weight around But these are adults too. and I have read on here of other members who had their ducklings seriously injured by their hens when they put their Muscovy ducklings in with them. So introduce slowly and let everyone have time to get use to one another. They can eat same feed as chickens but they will also forage too. Scratch really has no nutritional value and cat food can be used to help boost protein like during molting but they really need feed formulated for poultry, an all flock would work too
    to be as healthy as you sound like you'd like them to be. if you post some pics of them side view and front view we maybe able to tell you sexes.

Your place sounds awesome.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. MamaWalker

May 2, 2015
    Mountainburg Arkansas
    Thank you Miss Lydia! We had discussed integration but we weren't going to do it until they were grown. I have a small portable coop that they are in now and I have part of my chicken coop sectioned off where I keep my hens & new babies. I keep them separate but let them spend time amongst the others gradually until they can get used to each other. I would like to let them free range and forage since we have the land and ponds for them to roam free but I'm afraid of losing them to predators. I'll definitely stock up all flock [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is always a big chance we take when we let them free range. It's something you'll have to decide on. Mine have half acre fenced to free range on. The other times outside of the fence I am with them.

5. MamaWalker

May 2, 2015
    Mountainburg Arkansas
    I may try just having them out when I can watch them. I appreciate your input!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We also have a Muscovy thread here with lots of Muscovy members so come and join us. We love our scovy's .

Love your avatar.

7. MamaWalker

May 2, 2015
    Mountainburg Arkansas
    I will do that Miss Lydia! Thank you!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by