Our nearly finished coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stetson, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Stetson

Stetson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    [​IMG]

We used the frame for an Ikea bunk bed as our frame for the structure. We used pallet wood almost exclusively, including a giant piece of sturdy plywood from a mammoth pallet. The only things we bought were screws, u-bolts (for securing the sides to the bunk bed frame), hardware cloth, some treated lumber for the vertical supports and the roof supports, and gate hinges for the Dutch doors. The roof isn't on it yet because our truck was in the shop and we couldn't go get the corrugated metal roofing. We will do that this weekend. Currently there is a tarp over the top which has worked fine so far, but I know it's not secure against predators. Plus it's ugly as sin. I think it will look super cool with the metal roof on it. We've fenced in the run with chicken wire, and will be adding electric fencing to the exterior of that this weekend to deter my dogs from rushing the fence as well as deterring raccoons and possums. Our 3 girls love their new run and seem comfortable in their new home!

I'll add more pics once its all complete.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Paint that thing and you'll have a work of art. Good work!

3. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Wow what an awesome coop! I need to build a new one and I have TONS of pallets. Maybe I'll try something similar.

4. Stetson

Stetson Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Thanks so much! You can't get better than free wood. It's a bit more work because getting the wood off the pallets without splitting them can be difficult. We've found that cutting through the nails with a reciprocating saw works best.

5. bluedoor

bluedoor Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Very cool! I am always in awe of people who are creative and can repurpose items like that.

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Love it!! We are doing the same thing. I have only had to buy paint so far. Would be able to finish it if it would stop raining.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Yeah it's just going out there and doing it in this heat!

8. Sky Hen

Sky Hen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Oregon
    Awesome job Stetson!!!

9. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Love it! Very creative.

AK Baha- What is the other little door with ledge on the left of the people door?

10. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    It,s a window with a small flower pot thingy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by