1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our neighbor complained about us.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Dec 9, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We got a letter today saying there has been a complaint about chickens and goats on our property. It is a form letter with a part to fill in the complaint and it says:

Your city ordinance allows 14 chickens in coops backyard, no goats, no roosters.

Needless to say, I am slightly ticked about this. Mostly because I looked up our city ordinance before we even looked at getting goats and it says (among other unrelated things):

It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or permit to be maintained any of the following on any premises within the city:

(4) Male goats

It says nothing else about goats anywhere that I can find. We do not have male goats, roosters, or more than 14 chickens. I am going to call humane tomorrow and ask them about it, but right now I am just assuming they are misinformed about the code. If there is some bit of code somewhere else that says I can't have them, I am really going to be ticked. I went through all the code they have online, so unless it is in some code you can only see by going to city hall, I can't see how they can make us get rid of them. The neighbors who complained (I am assuming it is the neighbors to the south of us), are generally just jerks who haven't liked us since we moved in. I am really going to feel good when we get to keep the goats despite their objections.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Good luck, hope everything works out.

3. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i hope this all works out for you!!!! people like this make me sick. people need to mind there own business. i used to live near people like that. till i decide to move were i don't have neighbors, best thing i ever did.
    I hope you are able to keep them.

4. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I hope so too. I don't know what we will do if they decide we can't keep them (but based on the code I can't see how they can). We paid $450 for these girls not to mention the cost to build their shelter and other items for their upkeep. We are not rich people and if that money goes to waste, it will be a real shame. This is why I researched it beforehand... [​IMG] .

5. Verboten

Verboten Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Are you talking about the humane society? - I hope that they are not a part of your government!

Don't admit anything, being right (sadly) might not be a good defense.

Best of luck to you!

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The local humane society is who takes care of code violations when it pertains to animals.

7. Verboten

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:That is interesting, it does not sound like a good situation.

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We are definitely willing to fight even if they say we can't keep them. Unless they can show me in the code where it says we can't have female goats or some other restriction on how big our lot has to be to keep them, I can't see that they will win.

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

If people would just mind their own "beeswax" sometimes...that kind of behavior is like tattling in preschool. It's not like your animals were causing problems...esp since you didn't have roo's or a billy goat. DANG. I hope everything works out for you! [​IMG]

10. Verboten

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    I have a bit of trouble with "non-profit" (they do profit some at the top) organizations enforcing laws. Here the sheriff (his department) would handle animal control and hand the animals over to the care of a contracted organization like the humane society (and this is ONLY because of lack of funding). My problem is not with the humane societies care for the wellbeing of animals but their lack of training for the rights of the public (something a sheriffs officer has drummed into them).

Do not answer their questionnaire without advice form a lawyer it is a trap.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by