Our new addition! ~Sedona~ (Horse Pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 10, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It was sort of a spare of the moment thing, but my dad decided to bring in a fourth horse. The people who had this mare just didn't have the time for her and they were downsizing their horse "herd". My dad had the chance to work with her for about an hour in the round pen and when he found out she was free, he decided to try and bring her here. She is ours, but we are basically trying her out. If she doesn't work out here, she will either go back to the people she came from, or to another friend of ours.

She's five years old, about 16 hands, and built like a beast. She just towers over me! She's supposed to be a good riding horse (Since it was a quick decision we did not get a chance to ride her before hand). She does need work on a few things though. She's a little iffy about lifting her back feet, spooky of things dropping around her head and she's slightly head shy. None of those issues are things we haven't encountered and solved before. She was excellent today when we brought her home and seems to just be a very calm horse. We'll be able to tell mor ein the next few days after working with her though!

OK, enough blabbering! Here's the pictures. We decided to name her Sedona (Forgive her hooves! They ARE very long and will have to be trimmed in the very near future. Also the pictures are not the best. She actually has very nice, straight legs! [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Beautiful!!

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Oh, lucky you!
    I soo very miss my horses (divorce and all) :-(
    I need a horse, great mental health breaks/mini vacations.
    She's beautiful. I hope you have many healthy happy years with her.
    Best wishes!
    (BTW, love your avatar - my GW's name is Molly, she was a rescue - what's your macaw's name?)

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    She is very pretty! And like you said - that mare has a body on her! Definately been well cared for.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks! She's been great so far. We haven't really done much with her yet, other than some handling. We are going to give her a few more days to settle before we bring her to the other field to work a little bit.

She's definitely larger than the horses I'm used to. Its a little disconcerting, but she seems real sweet.

Apparently she doesn't like women. That concerned us a little bit as he didn't tell us that before we decided to take her! However, she's been absolutely fine with me and has not pinned her ears for anything as of yet. I realize that could change in a few days when she is settled in, so I will have to be aware. They also gave A LOT of treats to their horses, which is what leads me to believe she was just being disrespectful to the wife, which is the person she apparently disliked. The wife gave her treats as encouragement to do everything. We don't give our horses treats from the hand.

I am very excited to see what we can do on her back and how much she knows! I'm crossing my fingers for a good trail horse!

(The macaw in my avatar is actually a bird from the sanctuary where I work. Her name is Jazz and she can be a little devil! Every now and then she'll be real sweet to me, but most of the time she wants to play. Her idea of play is biting my fingers real hard!)

Last edited: May 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by