Our new arrivals (Banty BR's) and questions about one!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by griswell, Aug 22, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Well here are our new babies at 10 days old! (I also posted these pics in the sexing thread, so they could have a say in the gender department, that is why they are numbered.) We have them in two rubbermaid totes right now for brooder boxes, and when the sex becomes more obvious we will give away the cockerels and combine the girls in the new coop.

If anybody here would like to weigh in on sex, feel free, but our question for this thread is about one in particular. Their names (by number) were given by my kids except one:

0. Biddy
    1. Hoss
    2. Redneck
    3. Nugget
    4. Bingo
    5. Angela
    6. Holly
    7. Yolko
    8. Domino

Hoss is the biggest of the group, and the smallest is Biddy. Biddy was named by my wife and she has become quite attached to him/her (and so have I). Biddy is also very noisy. He peeps constantly. Not loudly, just a constant little whistly (almost silent) "peepeepeepeepeepeepeepeep". Even now, as they are all in a pile asleep, you can hear him peeping away as he sleeps, almost like a peeping snore! None of the rest peep constantly like him. Is that bad that he has that quirk?

All the rest now have wing feathers, and Biddy still has stubbies. He eats well, and poops well, but the others are bigger than him, and they have begun to push him aside when he tries to eat. I don't want to isolate him unless I have no other choice. The size shown in the pics is not to scale.I had to shrink some of the pics to make them fit. He is GLARINGLY smaller than the rest, but he has a good appetite it seems. What else should we look out for?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Congratulations on your new chicks!!! They are adorable.

Sometimes the peeping won't stop if they get cold...are they piling up to stay warm? They should be able to spread out a little as they sleep, and not have to sleep in a pile to stay warm.

I have "runts" in my chick groups as well, and they seem healthy, just smaller. Sometimes it helps to have a second feeder/pan if the bullying gets too bad. I have even used aluminum pie pans as backup pans. The only thing is that they poo in them and kick the food out.

Again, congratulations!!!

3. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:No, they aren't cold. I say that, because the lamp I have in the brooder is on one side, and they sometimes sleep under it, other times (like now) they sleep on the other side of the box away from it. Sometimes they clump, other times they don't. I have noticed that when we hold Biddy (enclosed in our hands) that his peeping all but stops. If he is the only one who is cold, how do we keep him comfortable without isolating him?

4. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    What does "Banty BR" stand for? I think I might have the same breed......

5. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:Barred Rock Bantams

6. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    How on earth are you going to tell these babies apart?! I have 2 each EE, BR, and RIR, and the two like breeds "share" their names between them [​IMG]

Good luck with them!

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have standard barred rocks. One was and still is smaller than the rest but he does just fine. Sometimes I put an extra feeder in for him but unless you take the little one out to feed him they will just run over to the other feeder. I say him on mine cause yes mine is a little roo. The lighter ones will be boys. Also look at combs. I had 5 out of seven roos maybe 6 cause one is still confusing me, got their combs early. By the time they were 3 to 4 weeks old they were red. Pink to start. And yes my little boy is alot samller than the rest almost looks like a bantam. They are 11 weeks old now. rehome all but 2 and the one I am not sure of yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by