Our new arrivals! What breed? And another critter...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChevygirlBeth, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

On Friday my husband and I went to a coworker's farm to pick up 10 pullets (at $3/each... I thought that was pretty good [​IMG] ). I had hoped to get a variety of breeds, but when we got they they said that the Rhode Island Reds were picking on the Araucanas, so I should get all of one kind or the other. I went with the Araucanas... although, I need your help to tell me if that's what they really are. From everything I read it seems more likely that they are Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers than Araucanas. Here are some pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is my buddy. [​IMG] She's the friendliest one so far:
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple roosting in the coop:
    [​IMG]

I'm really enjoying them and even though my husband won't admit it, I think he likes the chickens, too! I know our kitten, Smokey, is enjoying them. I walked over to the coop tonight to get ready to move it to new spot in the yard and found this:
    [​IMG]
    Smokey was laying right inside the corner of the run area contently watching the girls! We're not sure when or how she got in there for sure. As long as she's happy to watch and not attack the chickens, I'll be happy!

We went to pick up the chickens expecting to only bring them home with us... however, while we were there my husband found another critter that he just HAD to have:
    [​IMG]
    This is Joel (he already had a name when we got him). He's a jersey/holstein cross calf who is only about 8 days old! Why we had to have him when we both already have beef cows and calves, I don't know! He is cute, though.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

almost all of your chickens look like easter eggers i believe [​IMG] very nice feathering [​IMG] i like your cow and your kitten too [​IMG]

3. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I have both EE and Ameraucanas. I'd say those are all EE's.

The cow is cute too and I'd say the kitten probably just squeezed her way into the run.

4. ChevygirlBeth

Thanks... [​IMG] I'm still learning all this chicken breed stuff. I was pretty sure they weren't Araucanas like the people I bought them from kept calling them, but beyond that I was unsure. I've read a little about Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers online, but I still wasn't sure which they were! I don't care... I like them regardless! I LOVE all their different colors! Oh and I got my first egg from one of them yesterday (I was shocked... I figured with the stress of moving they wouldn't lay for a while). [​IMG] I am so addicted! lol. [​IMG]

5. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    When I first got chickens a few years back I was constantly confused about what was an "Araucana" or "Ameraucana". Eventually, I came to understand that what most hatcheries call Araucanas are actually the EE mutts.

Even some people I know that have had chickens for decades still call EEs Araucanas. Personally, I love the EEs. Their coloring is like a waiting game, you just can't wait until they get their full adult feathers to see what you've REALLY got there:) With them you usually end up with a greenish colored egg but I understand they can also be blue or even brown. Mine lay green khaki colored.

I've got Ameraucanas as well. They all lay blue eggs. I've noticed as they age two of the girls eggs are almost white now. Those two always had lighter colored eggs to begin with. Interestingly enough the black girls eggs are the darkest blue and the blue and splash girls eggs are the lightest.

Here are a few links you might find interesting regarding the difference between, Araucana, Ameraucana and EE chickens.

http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html (Ameraucana site)

http://www.araucana.net/ (Araucana site)

I've heard that chickens sometimes stop laying right after a move but in my experience, it's yet to happen and it's sounds like you've got lucky too.

Anyway, stick around BYC it's a great place to learn.

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yup easter eggers for sure but nice ones and a great price too.

7. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    Thanks for the info sianara, this happens to be something I've been thinking about all day!

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    what a confusing breed. [​IMG]

9. ChevygirlBeth

Thanks for the information, sianara! This site is wonderful!
    The one egg I got was a pretty green color - almost an olive green. I hope I find some more eggs today when I get home![​IMG]

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow those are beautiful Easter Eggers I love the colors in the flock and that little bull calf is great maybe you should band him and have a pet ox LOL

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by