Our new babies (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ssteiner, Dec 1, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Well we lost our first two chickens on Thanksgiving morning to a dog attack at just 7 weeks old. A painful, miserable lesson, believe me. But Friday we picked up three new babies. I'm told they're a Wyandotte, a Delaware and a Cochin, but everyone here has so much experience I'll happily take any input. Anyway, here they are (as yet unnamed):

[​IMG]

Does anyone but me think the one on the right (allegedly the Cochin) is on the small side?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback.
    -Scott

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Scott,
    Sorry about your first chicks. That sucks. The one on the right is NOT a cochin. Cochins have feathers on their legs. Can't see the legs of the one in the bowl. It looks like maybe it could have feathered legs and, perhaps, you got the two confused? Anyway, I'm sure the one on the right is not a cochin.

Well...on closer look, I maybe see some fuzz on the legs but there really should be more feathers than that. Could it be a partridge rock...anyone? It does look a little smaller but not drastically so.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    You know it's funny you say that. For some reason, all I can remember about the one on the right from the person who sold it to me was that she called it a "partridge." Some part of me gravitated toward the idea that it was a cochin, but perhaps it's not? A partridge rock, now what kind of bird is that? A good egg-layer perhaps? If I have a Delaware, a Wyandotte, and a partridge Rock, will I have my fair share of eggs? Ultimately I guess it doesn't really matter, we love them all the same - which is to say quite a bit. I do appreciate any expert input, however, as when people ask me what kind of girls I have, I want to be able to tell them the truth.

-Scott

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    They sure look nice and healthy. Enjoy them and I am sorry for the loss of your first ones.
    ~Rebecca

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:If its a partridge rock it will turn out to look like this altho mine is a bantam yours may be too which would explain why its so small
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by