Our new baby chick's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruthlessbeauty, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ruthlessbeauty

ruthlessbeauty New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    How long until my baby chicks can go outside and stay in the coop?

2. silverlaced44

silverlaced44 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    When chicks have there adult feathers ( 6-7 weeks) You can take them out of the brooder but to be save I'd leave the heat lamb in for another week or so. Hope I'm right.

3. Hope1122

Hope1122 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    Brunswick Oh
    I would let them go outside around 7-8 weeks but however would not leave them outside unless it is warm.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Chicks are fully feathered at 4-5 weeks. Many people, including myself, move them into their coop/run at that age. If it is very cold where you are you might put a heat lamp up for them at first so they can warm up if needed while they get used to the temps.

5. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    WELCOME TO BYC!

Make sure to check out the learning centre! There is tons of good info there.

When chicks go out depends largely on your management style and weather.

I generally put my chicks out in the coop ( in a brooder section where they can be seen by everyone) with a heat source at around 3-4 weeks. I live in Wisconsin and often have them out side in early spring with some nights dipping down into the 20's. right now I am using the Mama Heating pad method and am loving it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I find they finish feathering out quicker, integrate with the flock easier. They are also exposed to germs outside at a younger age and develop better immunities in my experience. Plus there is a lot less odors and chicken dust to deal with inside then.

There are some who put their chicks outside right from the start. I really only keep them inside so long because I find them entertaining and they bond better with people.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. ruthlessbeauty

ruthlessbeauty New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Thank you so much, I'm so excited about raising them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by