Our new barn cats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Avalon1984, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Last Saturday we had the pleasure to bring home 2 new barn cats from a local shelter. Welcome home Whoozle and Pita! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    YAY you!!!!!!!!for adopting shelter pets

3. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:We always do. We wish we had more room to save more kitties but saving 2 at a time helps a little bit [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yeah, but this way, for every two someone adopts, it saves another two from being put to sleep and so on..................

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Nice cats. They look like mine. Only I don't have a barn, so I guess they are garden shed cats.
    Good of you to save them

Imp

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

7. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    I used to get 10-12 free feral barn cats at a time every 6 months from the local pound ... they ate the mice,rats and ground squirrels in the barn, which was great. However, the coyotes would desimate the feline populations, which was not so nice. So off to replenish . Such was the cycle of life. Then the pound started to charge $75 for each feral cat, which became some hit in the pocketbook. So now I get warfarin and poison grain from the county ag dept.

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:We ran into a similar situation. Our kitties get put away at night so that they don't get hurt. Some local shelters here go through the whole spiel of charging $90 for a cat and wanting to do a house visit, etc. I told them they'd be barn cats, and how many barn cats would they know that have their own fireplace for cold winter nights and their own refrigerator for cool water on hot summer days? And if we took such terrible care of our barn cats, why are they 15+ years old? Then we found this shelter and the lady was very nice to us and quite grateful. I just wish people would stop breeding cats to give some of those shelters a break but that's a whole different issues.

9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I call them my 2 little flat faced kitties [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Beautiful kitties! Thank you for taking them in too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by