Our new "Chicken Condos"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oakieridge, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    We finally finished our "Chicken Condos" last weekend. We have 10 coops for breeding (each will easily house 3-4 hens and 1 rooster), a huge laying hen pen, a "big kid" pen and our old feed house (was the original chicken coop). Now all my babies are happy in their new homes. The guineas even like their new spot (hubby made sure to put lots of little hiding nooks for them to nest in and gave them a mirror). These pics are before we cleaned up all our mess lol.

[​IMG]
    You can barely see the old coop (it is now the feed barn and where we have the brooders for the 2-5 week old chicks). There are 3 other coops on the other side of the feed house. I can't get the picture of those to load. We will be putting a big flight coop on the front of all of them. It will come out 10' from the front of them and run the entire length of the coops (about 55'). That way each pen can get out for 1/2 a day each week to free range in the flight pen. The guineas have the end pen on the right and the free range each day so they won't use the flight pen. We made it from recycled 6' fence panels our neighbor was going to burn, wood hubby had milled from our own property (all cedar), Our only out of pocket costs were screws, wire and fence staples. The backs are all covered with galvanized metal that is burried 18-24", once the flight coop is added the flight coop and each end will be covered with fence panels and sheet metal from 24" under ground to 3' above ground to try to keep to much out. There rest will be wire. Just have to wait until we can afford the wire, lol.

Where the sink is sitting is a water faucet, hubby is going to install my sink right next to it so I can wash chicken waterers and feeders right out there.

We got lots of our ideas from this very board, thanks to everyone that has shared their coops.

2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Nice... What will you fill them with?

3. Oakieridge

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Well chicken math here dictates that they were already full before they were built, lol. Coop 1 is Blue Splash Marans, coop 2 Golden Salmon Maran, coop 3 laying hens, coop 4 is the big kid pen, coop 5 is Feather-foot cuckoo maran, Coop 6 is Black australorp, coop 7 is our two non feather foot cukoo maran roos, coop 8 is buff orphingtons, Coop 9 is our RIR rooster and our barred rock hens and coop 10 is our breeding guineas. Now on to build our quarentine coops and coops for our extra breeding roosters, and then I want a "High School" pen for our birds 12-22 weeks old.

4. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    They look great! Can you post some bigger pictures so we can see the details?

5. Oakieridge

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Sure, I will take pictures this weekend. We are loving them, I will even snap pictures of the blue print we drew up to build them. Hubby earned a gold star for taking what I put on paper into reality, lol.

6. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    lots of chocolate eggs!

7. Congrats, it looks awesome. Can't wait to see the close-ups!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by