Our New Chicken Coop!~~~Finished! (*NEW PICTURES!*)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 77horses, May 12, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hey everyone! Since I've finally convinced my mom and stepfather to get chickens, I made a deal that I would help build the coop, which I was willing to do. I even helped pay for supplies, which I have (had!) almost $200 saved up for it, now it's up to probably around $120 and I still need to buy primer and paint for it and when it's done I will need to buy chicken supplies such as a feeder, waterer, bedding, and feed. [​IMG] So it's getting pretty tight! I've saved up this $200 for half the year until now...I spent $86 on the first day we started building it (on hinges, nails, 2x3's and sheets of wood for the walls/roof at Home Depot) and then we ran out of supplies, so had to go back and get more 2x3's and nails. Then I bought some chicken wire, which was only about $8.00, but that was when I hit over $100. We got shingles at a cheaper store (a bundle for about $7.00...it was about $23 at Home Depot for a bundle! [​IMG]). Now we need to go get some new hinges for the big door because the smaller $3.00 we had were too small, so I'm sure the larger ones will cost even more. [​IMG] My goal was to spend UNDER $100, but I guess that didn't work out! [​IMG] (I'm a very money-savvy person, so the spending part is what I don't like! [​IMG] lol I was hoping to not spend over $100 and then keep some leftover for decorating the coop and adding small personal touches, such as a welcome sign above the coop door, etc. [​IMG])

So since Monday, the coop is what I've been working on with my stepfather every day for 3-4 hours straight. Today, we are almost done. We have all the walls on, we have a window in, the roof is finished, and we need to put the front wall on with the small chicken door and the larger door for collecting eggs and cleaning. Once that's done, which we will probably finish today, I need to buy paint (primer and then the actual paint) and finish that by Friday. I won't be able to work on it over the weekend, and I have a house-rooster in my bedroom who needs to be moved in by Sunday night when I get back because my sister is coming back from college and I don't think she wants a small rooster in her bedroom! [​IMG] So my stepfather and I have only had this week to work on it and we hope to finish it by this Friday. [​IMG]

Now for pictures!!!! [​IMG] What do you think we should paint it? I was thinking a maroon/red color, kinda like a barn, only not really bright red. We want it to kinda blend in. It's going to be outback of the house at the edge of the woods. Oh and the size of the coop is about 4x4, so it should fit 4 chickens, which is perfect because we have our rooster, named Ivory, and now we are planning on getting 3 hens. [​IMG]

Front view: (don't mind the piece of wood on the front...it's the piece that's going on the front with the two doors)
    [​IMG]

Side view:
    [​IMG]

We used chicken wire for the vents and the window...Here's part of the vents on the front at the top of the roof:
    [​IMG]

Inside view:
    [​IMG]

Window from outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Complete view: (the platform it's on isn't permanent...We're going to move the coop to another area)
    [​IMG]

What do you think? [​IMG] I will post more pictures later!

-77horses [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Oh and not to mention, we are eventually gonna add on a caged-in run to the coop...Shouldn't be too expensive or hard to make, but I'm just glad I get a decent allowance! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    First of all, congrats on your progress thus far! Looks very solid and well built (though I don't envy you for having to move it off that platform!) [​IMG]

Now for some bad news...

You're going to want to replace the pieces of chicken wire you used to cover your windows/vents with more sturdy hardware cloth. Unfortunately, it's more expensive than chicken wire...

I really wouldn't overlook that since you're in a heavily wooded area, and I have little doubt that hungry raccoons will take very little time in seeking out your coop and trying to get in once you've got chickens in there...and chicken wire will not keep a determined raccoon out...

Other that that, it looks awesome! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. trolldollkim

trolldollkim New Egg

Apr 25, 2010
    I think it looks great!! And a nice barn colored maroon will look great on it!! Cant wait to see pics of it all finished.[​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Thanks! And that's what I was thinking. We used a staple gun to go all the way around the side and fasten down any open spaces, so it would take a bit of work for a raccoon to get in, but like you said if it really wanted to it probably could fairly easily.

Would it work better to keep raccoons and other predators out doubling the wire over and going over the sides with horseshoe nails? We've never seen any raccoons around, but it's best to be safe rather than sorry. [​IMG]

6. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Its not that the coons will rip it from the sides they can rip the chicken wire itself....

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Thanks! Not bad for building my first full chicken coop (with lots of help from my stepfather), right? [​IMG] I've helped build two other chicken coops before, but one was made form an old coal shed and the other was in a garage and I helped a little with just nailing. So this is my first coop to really help with! [​IMG]

And guess what??? We're just about finished!!! Tonight, after I took those previous pictures on here, we put up the wall, put the large door on, and put the small chicken door on! Tomorrow I will be priming it and maybe putting a perch and nest boxes inside (we're going to use those plastic milk crates for now for the nest boxes) and hopefully by Friday I can paint it and make the ramp for the chickens to walk up on it. I didn't take any pictures of what it looks like now because it got too dark out once we finished, but I will as soon as I can!

I think I'm going to make or buy some signs to put on the coop, too...Such as a sign above the nest boxes that says "Deposit Eggs Here!" or a "Chicken X-ing" and "Welcome!" signs on the outside of the coop. [​IMG] I may even do some art on it by painting a few white silhouettes of chickens on the side! [​IMG] Because since I plan on painting it a barn red maroon color, I'm going to paint the sides of the lining (such as around the doors and window) white and the white chicken silhouettes will make it unique and it will match. [​IMG] I think for that I'm going to make a few cardboard stencils shaped like chickens so I can just paint over it and it will be neater and easier. [​IMG]

Also, I need to think of a name for the coop...

Let me know of any ideas for signs and names! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:They can?! [​IMG] Now I've heard that raccoons are clever, but I didn't know that could rip through metal chicken wire! (although it's really pretty thin)

[​IMG]

9. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:They can?! [​IMG] Now I've heard that raccoons are clever, but I didn't know that could rip through metal chicken wire! (although it's really pretty thin)

[​IMG]

Yes,I know someone that learned the hard way and lost their Ducks

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]

[​IMG]

Yes,I know someone that learned the hard way and lost their Ducks

That's scary. [​IMG] It would really devastate me to lose one or more of our chickens to a raccoon or other predator, so what else can we do to improve the vents/window other than the hardwire cloth? Thanks! [​IMG]

Oh and about the money...I've spent well over $100 (almost to $200) and I found a thread with a coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=341628 that looks fancier than mine and yet they say they only spent roughly $100??? [​IMG] It seems like I'm spending so much, and it has mainly gone to the actual wood part of the coop, such as the 2x3's and the wood sheets for the walls. I don't mind if it means the coop will be good quality, but still it seems like I've spent more than most coops on here cost to build I've seen on here (and I still need to spend some more). [​IMG] I know, sorry, but I just like being money-savvy! [​IMG] lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by