Our new chicken coop (pictures)

RekbaSkins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Middleburg, FL
So it *only* took about a month to finish and there are still decorating touches to add but I couldn't be happier. We have no construction skills what-so-ever so it was a great leap of faith to buy all the materials- haha.
We live in sunny Florida and don't have to worry about cold weather except for maybe a few days a year. Hopefully this coop lasts awhile before building another bigger one (my husband will kill me if I mention that to him right now, lol).

15930_img_0261.jpg

15930_img_0273.jpg

15930_back_coop_2-09.jpg

15930_inside_coop_2-09.jpg

Inside the Coop with Linda looking in

One more thing... one chicken (Adora- the Buff Orp) is laying her eggs on TOP of the nest box. Is there a way to train her to go into the nest box to lay?

Last edited:
Fantastic! I don't have any construction skills either - it makes me feel better to see what a great job you did!

Since Linda is laying in the box (right?), I'm not sure what to suggest to train Adora - I would say put golf balls in the nest, but I don't know if that would help in your case. Someone will be along with a better suggestion.

Love your coop!

put lips around the top of the nest box and let her lay em there! I have a friend who does that and all his hens love it, sort of a large open tray with a two or three inch board around to keep shavings and eggs in. *shrugs* it's right by a window too, and his roosts are higher, so they don't hang out there except to lay... it works for him, why not? I'll try to get a picture of it, I need to borrow a camera anyway for something else... borrow or buy, but for now it's only borrow!

If you want them to avoid laying on top of the boxes, place a sheet of plywood at a 45 degree angle attached to the top of the box and attached to the wall. They won't be able to sit on the steep angle.

This is really cute and simple. I was going to build one just like it but my Uncle gave us a 8x10 old farmer style chicken coop. So we are tearing to apart to make as my grandma says "A Chicken Doll House".

Good Luck with your Kids!!

Back
Top Bottom