In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2017
Southern Alberta Canada
IMG_7345.JPG
IMG_7402.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7465.JPG

Last edited:
I did move the light since picture taken. This has been a lot of fun building. Because I have Giant Schnauzers that is why the whole thing is raised up and filled with dirt so dogs can not dig under. Coop is chicken wire and sheep wire for protection also. Going to put sod in it, I am guessing it won't last, but will try. Also have an old barrel that I am going to fill with wood ashes (outside), should I have stairs to it? or will it be ok?

If you're worried about your chicken's safety you might want to consider swapping out the chicken wire for something more sturdy, like hardware cloth. Your schnauzers will make quick work of it, and even quicker work of your chickens!

You should probably move the water and feed away from the lamp.

If you're worried about your chicken's safety you might want to consider swapping out the chicken wire for something more sturdy, like hardware cloth. Your schnauzers will make quick work of it, and even quicker work of your chickens!
It is double wired! Chicken wire is just so chicks could not get thru bigger wire which is welded wire, with 1" staples (second wire attached after pictures were taken). I feel very confident it is dog proof. Hoping later on we will be able to let them out supervised of course, but only time will tell.

Very nice! I especially love the shutters and window box :love

I agree with FlyWheel though about the hardware cloth. The chicken wire & welded wire may keep out the dogs, but other predators can get in and/or reach through. If the predator is small enough (mink, weasel, rat) to get through the welded wire opening, they will tear apart the chicken wire & get in to your chickens. Raccoons can reach through and decapitate.

Back
Top Bottom