Our new chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Lisser, Aug 4, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

We found the design for this tractor on BYC - if you search for "hoop house" you will find some threads about it.

My hubby and I discussed all the different suggestions and he did his own modifications. You can't see from this picture but he used treated 4x4's for the entire base, including the braces. We bought 16' long cattle panels from the local feed store, and hubby used hardware cloth to cover the panels. He added wheels the other day and this morning when I asked him to move it, he was standing inside, walking it to the new location! I may add an apron - well see how it works out.

[​IMG]

We are going to put our guineas in it for now, as I've heard that they need to be acclimated to their new home for a while to prevent them from running off. (They have been in our brooder room). I'll try to take more pics soon.

[​IMG] Melissa

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That looks great! I saw one very similar to that in the Hobby Farms Chicken magazine, and hubby is going to build one for me next spring, and I'll raise my first meaties. Looks like you guys did a great job!

3. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

[​IMG]
    Very nice!

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Looks Great!!! [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing it full of chickens/guineas!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by