Our New Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by palmettogroves, Aug 17, 2011.

1. palmettogroves

palmettogroves Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    Brazoria, TX
    We are still adding some finishing touches. We wanted something for the peeps to run around in during the day. They are put back in the brooder at night. They are a week old today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We might add a house to the top in the future.
    The wheels come off so it sits flat on the ground when it's occupied. Keeps the creepys out.

[​IMG]

We used hog nose rings to tie the two lengths of wire together on top in the middle.

2. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Looks great except for you have about 30 or more babies in there now that would be good for 2-3 full grown hens Max

3. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Nice job! Looks efficient for 3 to 5 mature chickens. I think they might appreciate some type of roof.

4. palmettogroves

Aug 14, 2011
    Brazoria, TX
    Quote:Right. Our larger 40x40 foot pens will be finished in the next couple of weeks. Then they will have lots of room. In the mean time, this is their playpen. We have 53 chicks. Probably going to sell a lot of them before they are grown.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Nice Job!! [​IMG]

6. palmettogroves

Aug 14, 2011
    Brazoria, TX
    Quote:The roof is coming. Found a great deal on roofing tin. They have plenty of shade and we haven't had rain here in days. It's been over 100 every day for almost a month. Guys, we truly appreciate any and all suggestions. I love the way everyone exchanges information here. Thanks so much to all of you.

Peace...

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    That's cute! The chicks are alright too. [​IMG] Putting a little coop on the top would be a great way to repurpose it. You could use it for a grow out coop for smaller batches of chicks or a quarantine or hospital coop or or or... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by