Our new chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bovverboi, Feb 25, 2015.

1. bovverboi

bovverboi New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Long Beach, Ca "LBC"
    We've just got 4 baby chicks. They are 2 weeks old and seem to be getting restless in the brooder, chasing each other around and trying to fly. I'm afraid they're bored. Is there anything I can put in the brooder to make it fun for them? How long do the have to be in the brooder before I can put them in the coop?

2. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

Hi, Welcome, I am new as well and will be picking up my chicks on Saturday. I have seen people put some sticks as perches for their chicks to play on. Rosem[​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There are a couple of threads on toys for chickens you might like, ie https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195076/toys-for-chickens X2, perches/ sticks etc are fun for them to jump around on. Usually chicks will be fully feathered by around 7-8 weeks, unless it is really cold they should be fine outside in a draft free coop, be sure you are lowering the temperature of the brooder and get them used to the cold gradually.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, this site is loaded with lots of useful information, I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here!
    [​IMG]Give themselves some thing to scratch in, and I agree with putting some roosts for them to play on. Enjoy your new chickies!
    [​IMG]

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you have joined us. Congrats on your new flock.

Get one of those BabyCakes or similar brand of hanging forage/treat log made for baby/young chicks. Tractor supply and other farm/feed suppliers have them. hang one in the brooder and they will love it and it will keep them occupied. Also offer some dried mealy worms if you haven't already done so….so fun to see the young food runs with those.

6. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

I wonder could you hang a piece of fruit maybe an apple or some grapes?

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

Giving them some treats or perches may entertain them. I occasionally give my chicks mealworms, and they go crazy over those! But, don't be surprised if they continue running around chasing each other. It is through that that they determine the pecking order. In fact, my chicks almost seem to enjoy chasing each other and play-fighting as chicks.[​IMG]

As Kelsie2290 stated, you should be able to put your chicks in the coop at 7-8 weeks old, depending on temperature. In warm weather, you might be able to do it sooner (6 weeks or so), but if it is below 0 outside, you may need to wait even longer.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Just 2 weeks old, I would hold off on a lot of treats. You could try grapes and watch to see how they do with them.

I had a thermometer in the brooder and they loved pecking the red bulb on it. Made short roosts, they really didn't show interest, a couple would stand on them others ignored them.. But boy they loved the baby cake…..they would peck it for hours.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

The other members have given you some good advice. [​IMG] Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by