Our new coop for under $50.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rlilchickadee, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Rlilchickadee

Rlilchickadee In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Here's our first night of work on the new coop after getting a load of free wood from a receiving dept. at a local factory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DH lagged the 4x4'a together with 5 1/2" lags countersunk 1". No plans at this point.
    [​IMG]
    Next he put the floor on. This was a piece of osb board we had laying around for quite a while.
    The next night when I got home from work this is what I saw!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    Sweet..... Please do update this thread ok? I can't wait to see this when it's done.

3. Garlydog

Garlydog In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Joliet, IL
    Looking good so far. That is nice lumber for free! Thanks for posting pictures. Looking forward to more.

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    the greatest way to go!!! all in total we spent the same for our, btween stuff given to us, farm sales and watching freecycle.....

6. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

It's really looking like it's going to be a great one when he's finished. Keep him working; we're all anxious to see it when he's done.

7. Monk

Monk Songster

May 10, 2009
    Free wood, that a good price! Nice work, looks quality all the way...
    Keep us posted on the progress to finish.

8. Rlilchickadee

Jul 24, 2009
    The wood for the studs and roof were still from the load of free wood. So far all we bought were lags and screws. This window came from clean up days. It's a combination window turned on it's side.
    [​IMG]
    We had to buy 4 sheets of osb to sheet the walls.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a shot of our 2- 17 week old cornish rocks that think this is for them.
    DH wanted to see how long they would live and how big they would get. I wanted them to go with the rest. They are very friendly and now we'll never be able to eat them:cd:
    [​IMG]
    the rooster weighs 13# and the hen 11 1/2. They're 18 weeks old and seem healthy.

9. Rlilchickadee

Jul 24, 2009
    The board for the floor had been around awhile so wasn't very smooth so I put 3 coats of paint I picked up at work in the mistints for $1. I may end up putting vinyl in later if this doesn't hold up. DH took the front off of an old chicken nest we were given for the nests. There are 4 holes but will probably only be 2 actual nests in the box.
    [​IMG]
    The roof took 2 sheets of used tin that were given us by relatives. I was quite happy with the color as it almost matched the trim color I had planned. It's the same as all our other buildings.
    [​IMG]
    DH left the rafters open for ventelation but still have to get the wire on them.
    [​IMG]
    I got gallon of mistint paint at work for $8 for the body color and a quart mistint that I was able to make the trim color for $2.

10. sjranch

sjranch In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    central california
    I like it looks to be very well built. Im betting your chickens will like it as well. good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: