Our new coop is coming along

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by phelpcd1, Mar 6, 2012.

1. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    This is our new coop my hubby is building. It is 6x10 total and the interior will be 4x6. We can only have 2 hens here so hopefully this will be plenty of room. I will be allowing them to roam some during my lunch breaks - especially to help me keep bugs out of the garden! We used house siding as the sides and the floor - what I need to know is what is the best material to have in the floor of the coop (interior)? Something easy for me to keep clean. I'm guessing that eventually they will scratch up all the grass (weeds) in there too?

[​IMG]

2. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
  3. Purdy

Purdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Sparta, Michigan
    Looks like your off to a great start, a real chicken haven.

I like walk in pens and covered runs.

4. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    Coop's lookin great! As far as the interior, I just use a plywood floor and put down some bedding. When my birds were chicks, I layered the flooring with the clear sheeting that you use in a kitchen cupboard (it had an adhesive side to hold it to the plywood). This worked great but now that they're getting bigger, I'm sure their pecking and scratching would just tear that stuff up.

5. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Well our coop is about 95% DONE! Finally.....all I have left to do is put some more wire on the top area and on the screen door, and put in perches........then we have to just put everything in place (feeder/water, laying box, poop board etc.) We are taking the raising chicks class in Dallas tomorrow and will be getting our 2 hens then. I'm excited and can't wait! I know for sure I'd like one RIR, but not sure what the other one will be yet. I found out that a neighbor not far also has several chickens (even a rooster or two) and 1 goose and 1 duck. That goose goes berzerk at you when you are close to the fence (it's chain so you can see them all)....quite funny!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by