Our New Coop *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RyanAndMeri, May 12, 2008.

1. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    We started this in the fall. I wrote up a design and got the measurements worked out and then we started work laying the foundation. This was a first for us - we've never mixed cement or built frames or really anything like this before.

[​IMG]
    The foundation is 4 feet by 8 feet and was approx 3 to 3 1/2 inches deep. We built a rim around it so it would be easy to wash out when we cleaned it, but so far (because of the deep litter method) we haven't had to wash it out at all! It stays dry and clean. We had approx 22 eighty-pound bags of concrete and we just mixed the cement in a cheap wheelbarrel.

[​IMG]
    The frame was very shaky at first until we got the sides on it. We made the door 6 feet high so I could walk in and not bump my head [​IMG] We hammered cement nails in to secure the frame to the cement, but looking back I'd rather have done J bolts or cement screws instead. We had a lot of trouble nailing into the cement without it chipping away.

[​IMG]
    We put up the walls, built a simple run, sealed and painted and then added shingles (Meri did the shingles and painting practically by herself!) There are a lot of intermediate steps missing. I'll try to dig those up and post them later. Basically once the frame was up the rest was very easy (except for the roof.) The roof angle was hard to work out and we ran into many problems due to the 2x4's not being perfectly straight. We used a lot of L-brackets to get everything on nice and tight. The doors are just plywood framed by 1x4's to add stability. The sides are framed by 1 x 2's to keep the sides of the plywood from getting wet.

[​IMG]
    Meri checking for eggs. The coop is very easy to clean and stays somewhat warm in the winter (as long as our 250 watt bulb is on and not broken by the hens anyway. We're our 5th one!) The boxes were from a craft store - they were pine and only cost around $12 each! We secured them to a board which was fastened with large L shaped metal brackets.

[​IMG]
    Buff orps do not like to be high so only the bottom two boxes are used by all 11 hens! We have some new bantams that are almost ready to be put outside, we are hoping they take up those unused boxes [​IMG]

We learned a lot from other people's posts on these forums about their own hutches, and we deisgned ours based off the pictures and coop designs here! This forum is awesome, isn't it??!

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    You coop looks very nice. What size is your nesting boxes?

3. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Beautiful coop! Looks peaceful and inviting. Love the color. Maybe you could use a scrap of chicken wire to make a "cage" to surround the light bulb (like they do in gymnasiums to protect lights from flying balls!)

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You guys did great! Congrats on a warm and comfy coop for your girls.

5. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Very nice job!!!!!!

6. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments! [​IMG] The boxes from the craft store (used as nesting boxes) were 12 x 12 inches. We used the shelf below them to extend the bottom out another 3 inches. We then used little L braces and a 1x2 for the lip to keep the eggs from rolling out of the front.

If we did things differently I think instead of a 4x8 width x length coop we should have made a 8 x 8 foot coop because our flock is growing and we'll need more space soon!

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Looking great! Love the color!

8. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    wow what a nice coop.

9. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps