Our new coop progress pics.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cmom, Feb 2, 2011.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We are building our 4th coop. We learn as we go along with each coop and each coop is going to be our last. Oh well [​IMG]. All we have done on the new coop is to put the floor down. Now to build the walls. All of our coops have poop pits under the roosts. Here are also some pics of our last coop. The new coop is going to be similar except with external nest boxes on each end and a door on each end with a partition in the middle so it can be divided and a pop door on each side. The smaller/taller coop in the last pic is our original coop. We were in the process of relocating the coops and putting them in the same area.

This is the new coop so far. No work today. A rainy day.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the coop that is similar to the new coop.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We have electric wire around the outside of our fences only after a predator got one of our birds.
    The power supply is mounted on the side of the coop.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    All I can say is WOW!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    that looks nice!![​IMG]!!!!! great build! [​IMG]

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Good-looking job. I am wondering if you will have a problem with rodents/snakes living under the coop? If I was going to build one on legs, I would raise it high enough to make that area uninviting. See 'My BYC Page'.

I thought about the wire floor under the roosts, but decided to do a large poop board instead, as you can see. I do scrape it daily [​IMG] and put the poop in a plastic tote bin and keep the lid snapped on tight. It goes to the garden or to the shrubbery when I empty it.

Gerry
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT JOB!!! I was wondering about the wire floor area. Are you reaching under it and raking out the poo when it builds up?

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Really nice! If you get the urge to build more.... come visit me. [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey gsim! Nice coop

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Thank you. It is a home-built and self-designed. Mostly works well, and requires cleanout only once a year. That was a primary objective of mine.

Gerry [​IMG]

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Lots of great ventilation for those hot Florida days!! You've got quite the chicken village growing there!! Looks great!

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

How big is it. It looks about 8 x 16 feet. I am designing one myself for the desert and i really like your shutters. We dont get rain but we do get wind big time. [​IMG]

10. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Good job! Those are some lucky chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by