Our new coop/run underway. PICS Up date pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mgw, Oct 16, 2010.

1. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    We have planned on building a new coop and run, for our layers it is going to be 5x8' or 40 SQ' . I have been gathering used materials since about may . The only materials that I have had to buy so far is the framing lumber and sheeting.
    Put in the pier blocks last nite after work.

[​IMG]

Next thing was the floor framing I used 4x6" and 4x4" way overkill I know but it was free the ply on the floor was also free plus it is water proof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came the framing' and sheeting the framing lumber is 2x3 studs the sheeting is 1/2" osb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tommorow I will get the roof framed, sheeted, and tar papered also cut out the pop and nest box holes , then wrap with tyvek!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you did all that after the pups were born? You rock!!! [​IMG]

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    looks great! love the big windows [​IMG]

4. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Quote:yes I am ok at framing and roofing the finishing takes me a little longer
    P.S thank you for the advice and help with the puppies this morning it was a big help to us!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yes I am ok at framing and roofing the finishing takes me a little longer
    P.S thank you for the advice and help with the puppies this morning it was a big help to us!

your welcome and anytime:) that just means you have to update with more pictures...LOL [​IMG]

6. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Didnt get as much done as I had hoped to, but did get the roof framed sheeted and tar paper down ready for roofing. Those sheets of OSB were a struggle to get up there by myself, but glad it is done.

[​IMG]

I used Stimson strong ties for the rafters. the ones on the ends I just screwed on one side then after I secured the rafter I bent the other side around with a hammer and screwed it down.

[​IMG]

have another hour or so of odds and ends framing then siding and windows can go on. then work will begin on the inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by