Our New Coop - Urban Chicken test site!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jendodd, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jendodd

jendodd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Hi everyone! We had the Hens in the Hood group come today to bring the coop and start working on the pen. We're lucky to be one of 10 test sites for the urban chicken project here in our town!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're pretty excited! We're going to whitewash it right now, and work on making it cute next year - We'll be getting 4 pullets that are ready to start laying once the run is done next week! Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. jendodd

Aug 10, 2010
    sorry, i'm not sure why the pictures aren't working!

eta - fixed!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Congratulations on being a "test site". [​IMG] I'm not sure I understand why anyone needs a test site for chickens - they've proven themselves and have been around for years! [​IMG] I really like your coop - nice large opening for easy cleaning. Did you design/build it or is that part of the "test" too? I highly recommend a poop board for easiest poop removal, if you can configure one under your roost.

...and [​IMG]

4. jendodd

Aug 10, 2010
    I agree! I don't know why there needs to be a test site either considering where we live! We're hoping that after the reports are all in from the 10 sites, there will be residential chickens allowed here!

There is a group of youth employed for this project, and they are the ones that researched the design and building of the coop. I just had to clear the space for them to bring it in!

I'll look up a poop board and get on that idea-

thanks so much! I'm excited to be a part of this board!

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It looks great!!!

6. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    What are the dimensions of the coop? I wonder how I would get a test site going in my city?

7. jendodd

Aug 10, 2010
  8. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
  9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    [​IMG] Congrats to you in being one of the "chosen ones"! [​IMG] Very cute coop, your girls will be pleased.

10. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Shhh - Keep telling the neighbors its a test site.........
    I think even if you weren't it is a good vise to keep pesky nonunderstanding neighbors pie holes quiet.

PS Love the cute little Homegirl she seems to enjoy the chicken "crib" in the "hood"

Enjoy
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by