Our New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmoranjr1, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kmoranjr1

kmoranjr1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    e. wareham, ma.
    These are some pictures of my new coop , actually its a older coop that I aquired and rehabbed. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful for this is my first attempt at raising chickens. My family loves the fresh eggs and we also have a large garden that needs fertilizer.

[​IMG]
    This picture shows the coop after I replaced the roof and patched a few rotted spots on the sidewalls. so far I have not spent any money on the coop. The materials were all scrounged up at various construction sites in the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coop originally had six nestboxes inside, I felt Iwould not need that many. So they were removed and a new set of three was built on the back of the coop with a trapdoor. Thats so I can get my wife to collect the eggs , Idont think she wants to go inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures show the nestoxes from the inside and the perch area. The perch is on hinges so it can be tilted up out of the way to make cleaning a bit easier. Dimensions are 3x5 by about 5 ft high and there are 3 three foot perches staggered approx. 10 inches apart. We have 8 chicks coming in 2 weeks so hopefully this will be large enough for them.(There will be a large covered run for them also)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the new front door and pophole ramp. I have a 2x2.5 window and the eaves are also open, would this be enough ventilation? The coop is also insulated with 2x4 construction.

[​IMG]

This is the coop after my boy and I spent a day painting. also we installed a door on the pophole to keep out any hungry critters.

Thanks for looking at my post. Comments/tips/advice would be very welcome. I will post more when the chicks arrive and the run is being built

Alll openings are covered with hardware cloth, and there is a lockable sliding door on the pophole

We have started building the run. its going tobe 8x16 by around 6ft high with a people sized door to make cleaning easier. The bottom half will be covered with hardware cloth buried a foot and ahalf in the ground,the upper half and top will will have standard poultry netting. I am planning to reinforce all seams and staple points with furring strips and screws. I would have used hardware cloth on the entire run but its very very exspensive. hopefully this setup will keep out racoons

[​IMG]

All the lumber that is being used is recycled from an old deck. The only things that I have spent any money on are the paint, hardware cloth , poultry netting and some screws. so far less than $250 (the hardware cloth is over $50 dollars a roll) will post some more as construction progresses

After reading more of the posts here I hope that a 3x5 coop with an 8x16 covered run will be large enough for 8 hens. 10 days and they will be here

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Nice job with the refab. It looks soo nice. The only i would think is to put a lil lip of wood on the nest boxes so when you open the door to get eggs your bedding doesnt fall out.,. Otherwise awesome job. [​IMG]

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    You did a wonderful job, I like it. I am not good with advice because I am just starting again after many years without chickens, I just wanted to say Good Job

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    The only thing you might get negative feedback on is the square footage is a lil small for 8 hens.. I go by the three sq ft per chicken and others on here think thats too small. maybe you can do an addition later since you can seem to have a knack for finding free materials . I am adding another 4x4 to mine when my girls get bigger.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Adorable! Great job. I can't tell if you put screens on the upper side windows, but that would probably be good to prevent wild birds from flying in to get at their feed and such. Great ventilation system though.

As for the above comment about space -- are you planning to free-range them? or build a run? If so, the space is fine. If they are to be penned inside there all day then it will be tight.

My dream -- an electronic door opener! If you can afford it...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. J&KV

J&KV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    Wow, your coop looks very nice! I like the barn red, its the same color as my small coop. Looks like you'll have some happy chicks. Great job![​IMG]

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's a beautiful coop. I love it [​IMG]

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My suggestions, although it looks great:

Put a board on the nest boxes to keep eggs from accidently rolling out when you open the door. Also, are you able to close the pop door and that big side window screen? This will stop drafts and make it predator proof if you lock them up at night.

9. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

10. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I have a coop about your size and decided aginst the ladder roosts. Rather than to encourage dominance fighting over the highest rung I used a single roost from wall to wall, with a poop board underneath. This way it will be easier for me to move around in the coop, and maximizes the (limited) floor space. In the bigger scheme of things it may not make a difference, but this was my thought process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by