Our new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bramble, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Bramble

Bramble New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    Herefordshire, UK
    Hello, I'm new to BYC. We've been talking about getting chickens for ages...and finally we've made the coop. Well, my dad has anyway!

Here it is...
    [​IMG]

The top is 4'x4' and the run is 8'x4' for 3 chickens (probably bantams). It does now have a door and ramp [​IMG]
    It's REALLY heavy though, so was just wondering how often it would need to be moved onto new ground?
    Next step, get my chickens!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Wow! Tell dad good job! Looks fantastic!

How often you'll have to move it depends on how many chickens you have in there as they'll go through ground quicker, the more there are.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

nice, see if he can put some wheels on it, making it easier to move. Look how much gas your saving- mowing lawns and fertilizing! Great job on the house, good luck on residents!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

The coop looks great [​IMG] Move it every week or so, if you've only got 3 little bantams. Maybe add some wheels or a sled on the bottom, so you can pull/push it. Good luck.

5. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    Super Cool! [​IMG]

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well done. Ready for chickens now.

7. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    [​IMG] looks GREAT!

8. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have a 4' x 8' run with 4 RIR's about 3 months old, and I try to move mine every day. Mine's not as heavy or as nice as your's.

To move it use a two wheeled dolly with large tires. Slip it under the bottom on the heay end and the other end looks lite enough to just pick up. Of course that requires two people.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! Kudos to your dad - he did great on the tractor. It looks really nice and functional. I would suggest you move it at least every other day to keep your lawn from being decimated by your chickens. You will be able to tell, though, by watching when it really needs to be moved.

Because of all the people here who have lost their chickens to predators I always check out that aspect of coops I see. You have used chicken wire for your run... chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it does not keep most predators out.

If you live in the city you may not have a worry (although most cities have stray dogs, raccoons and feral cats), if you live anywhere else you may want to think about reinforcing your fence with either hardware cloth (the best choice but expensive) or 2x4 welded wire. You could just put either one over what you have. I'm assuming you will be locking up your chickens at night on the inside part so they should be safe there.

My tractor looks awful (from scrounged materials) but it's heavy like yours. You may want to take some of the suggestions offered and either put wheels on yours or skids/sleds to help move it. Mines a bear to move and I wish I'd done it differently.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    NICELY DONE! Good job dad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by