Our new Cuckoo Maran chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CanbyDan, Mar 1, 2015.

1. CanbyDan

CanbyDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Canby OR
    Since before we bought our first pullets and rooster a month ago, we talked about also raising chicks. Our local farm supply Wilco and Coastal farm stores offer chicks beginning February and free classes. This time last year, we were signing the papers for our new home in the country and took one of the classes.

Now, we have our first chickens and giving us enough eggs that we are already selling to friends and the new chicks were calling to us!! Before buying our new chicks, we set up a nursery for them in the house made from a large wood box. Heat lamp, feeder, waterer, grit and reading everything we could find. Plans are to add fresh chicks every year, so we limited ourselves to six chicks. We decided that each of us can choose three of their favorite breed. I chose Marans due to their beautiful chocolate brown eggs. My sweetie wanted to make her choices at the store. We get in the store and start looking over the choices, we find that they are over stocked with Cuckoo Maran pullets. Pushing two weeks old and loosing the super cute chick stage in life they were discounted 50%. So to get to the pics sooner, let's just say we're suckers for a sale and six Cuckoo Marans followed us home in two chick boxes (too big for one!).

[​IMG]
    One of our favorite farm supply stores, interesting how the web address for the co-op becomes "coop" (or marketing genius ;-) )

[​IMG]
    Not a great pic but this is our nursery, a home made hope chest found at local auction for $7

[​IMG]
    The girls getting used to the new digs. We removed to round pen as they're not huddling in the corners and one showed how well she can fly already and landed in a corner, behind the hoop.

[​IMG]
    Cute pic time

[​IMG]
    Hey look, a camera to peck at!

[​IMG]
    Going to be some beautiful full grown chickens soon.

[​IMG]
    Vicki giving some Love

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. hhill

hhill Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Cute!! If you like their eggs then you might want to get welsummers, as their eggs are beautiful!

3. peanutshark

peanutshark Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Kissimmee, fl
    I think chicks and their adult counterparts never stop being cute :D it's crazy how fast they grow though! I wish mine would have their chick fluff forever, so I'm treasuring this first week as much as I can. Love your marans! They'll be beautiful!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I got some cuckoo Marans this year myself. They're a little older than yours, but I got them as little fluff balls and paid full price for them. I had 6 shipped to me in an order of 28. If i could've found them at the feed store for half off, I would've doubled up! What a deal!

Good luck with them, they're adorable!

5. CanbyDan

CanbyDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Canby OR
    We're having to restrain ourselves, the gal at farm store was telling us to come back later in the week, they'll be closer to free! Our price after 50% off was only $2.24 each.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by